"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-09-2020, 06:32 AM   #41
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Antrim
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda0818 View Post
My mom always used a knife to peel everything, including potatoes. And she always did it so perfectly and made it look so easy, removing just the peels. Me, I end up peeling off a good portion of the potato along with the skins, so I never mastered that.
I'm like you - never did master peeling a potato with a knife. I do use a knife to peel an apple.

Gillian
GilliAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:55 AM   #42
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,551
There are a few things I can peel with a knife, carrots by scratching them, also parsnips, melons, winter squash, cheese rind, citrus fruit, and I think that's about it. Every other thing that has to be peeled is done with a veggie peeler.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 05:53 AM   #43
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Antrim
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
I don’t bother peeling any of my vegetables except for onions and winter squash. Carrots, beets , potatoes, cucumbers, I eat with the skin on. I figure the fiber is good for you and it saved me time.
I've never heard of peeling an onion with a peeler. I generally manage to pull the layers of skin off. For convenience I use baby potatoes, which I don't peel - leaves the saucepan so much easier to clean in addition to the all-important time factor. I was going to say I'd never heard of peeling cucumbers but I suppose you'd have to peel them for using with a dip at a buffet.

Gillian
GilliAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 07:15 AM   #44
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,747
One of the dumbest things Heard about peeling carrots, we went to a food festival and Robert Irvine did a Demo. I like the guy and find him entertaining so I attended the demo. The first thing he said was that he is going to teach us the easiest way to peel a carrot an once we learn this, we will never peel them the old way again. Bottom line is he brings a pot of water up to boil, blanches the carrots, then basically rubs the outer blanched portion off.

Did it work, yes. Would it be a good idea for a restaurant where they may have to peel 100 carrots, possibly. Is it practical for the home chef to peel a few carrots for dinner, No sir. Even if peeling 100 carrots, by the time you get the pot, fill it with water, get it to boil, dump the carrots in, let them blanch, cool them... You could have had a decent percentage peeled already. Peeling tomatoes, absolutely, carrots, naah.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:48 AM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,220
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliAnne View Post
I've never heard of peeling an onion with a peeler. I generally manage to pull the layers of skin off. For convenience I use baby potatoes, which I don't peel - leaves the saucepan so much easier to clean in addition to the all-important time factor. I was going to say I'd never heard of peeling cucumbers but I suppose you'd have to peel them for using with a dip at a buffet.

Gillian
You live in the UK, don't you? Have you ever seen what the most common cucumbers are like in North America? Compared with what we call "English cucumbers", they are thicker skinned, have much larger seeds, and are shorter.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
You live in the UK, don't you? Have you ever seen what the most common cucumbers are like in North America? Compared with what we call "English cucumbers", they are thicker skinned, have much larger seeds, and are shorter.
I think peeling cucumbers is going out of style. Most of the ones I've seen in restaurants and at neighborhood potlucks are not peeled.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:02 PM   #47
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: oregon
Posts: 403
I don't think I've ever peeled a cucumber.
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:47 PM   #48
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylhanger View Post
I don't think I've ever peeled a cucumber.
Interesting. I always peel a cucumber.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:54 PM   #49
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: oregon
Posts: 403
If we grill it we leave the peels on, if it is for vinegar and onion cucumbers, we leave them on, sandwiches as well.

Don't like any soups whatsoever, so maybe they need peeled in soup?
Vinylhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:33 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,220
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I really think it depends on the type of cucumber and personal taste.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #51
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,747
I peel the larger darker waxy cucumbers, dont peel the pickling/ Kirby cukes or the ones with the lighter thinner skin ( although my wife prefers any cucumber. to be peeled).
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:02 AM   #52
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylhanger View Post
I don't think I've ever peeled a cucumber.
For me - Store bought ones I peel, specially if they have a waxy skin. Fresh from the garden or the farmer's market not at all. But for DH I peel them all the time.
__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #53
Certified/Certifiable
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 10,551
Who'd of thunk you could get three pages of posts out of the subject - How To Peel Carrots? DC is a truly special place.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 02:57 PM   #54
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Who'd of thunk you could get three pages of posts out of the subject - How To Peel Carrots? DC is a truly special place.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Filled with a bunch of special people
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Who'd of thunk you could get three pages of posts out of the subject - How To Peel Carrots? DC is a truly special place.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Well, it did veer off into peeling cucumbers
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #56
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 38,543
Just a small tangent. At least we did not veer off into the best way to peel a hard boiled egg.

I didn't, nope it wasn't me...
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:17 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 24,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Just a small tangent. At least we did not veer off into the best way to peel a hard boiled egg.

I didn't, nope it wasn't me...
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #58
Executive Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 3,747
Peeling fresh laid hard boiled eggs is a real treat , now that you mentioned it. Ive tried all suggestions, and they work sometimes, but not consistently. Never tried a vegetable peeler on an egg though
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:03 PM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 24,220
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Well, we haven't touched on peeling beets yet. My preferred method is to boil the beets and plunge them into ice water. Then, I rub off the peel.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #60
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Antrim
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
One of the dumbest things Heard about peeling carrots, we went to a food festival and Robert Irvine did a Demo. I like the guy and find him entertaining so I attended the demo. The first thing he said was that he is going to teach us the easiest way to peel a carrot an once we learn this, we will never peel them the old way again. Bottom line is he brings a pot of water up to boil, blanches the carrots, then basically rubs the outer blanched portion off.

Did it work, yes. Would it be a good idea for a restaurant where they may have to peel 100 carrots, possibly. Is it practical for the home chef to peel a few carrots for dinner, No sir. Even if peeling 100 carrots, by the time you get the pot, fill it with water, get it to boil, dump the carrots in, let them blanch, cool them... You could have had a decent percentage peeled already. Peeling tomatoes, absolutely, carrots, naah.
Couldn't be bothered with all that hassle.
GilliAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
carrot, carrots

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.