Peeling Carrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sideways, left to right with a yoke style peeler most of the time. If using a y-shaped peeler I peel towards myself. Haven't heard of using a spoon and don't like scraping with a knife.

Gillian

My mom always used a knife to peel everything, including potatoes. And she always did it so perfectly and made it look so easy, removing just the peels. Me, I end up peeling off a good portion of the potato along with the skins, so I never mastered that.

I peel up and down (from the leave end to the tip and back again--much faster than uni-directional). Can you tell I have peeled a lot of carrots--yoke style peeler.

I peel carrots back and forth, was taught that by the lady who came in and made our noodles in the restaurant I worked in.

Last summer I bought a Mueller French Press from Amazon. As a thank you gift Mueller sent me a peeler/zester. I have other tools that zest better but this is the best peeler I've ever owned. I don't know how long it will stay sharp; obviously can't be resharpened. But I still rarely peel vegetables so it'll probably stay sharp a long time.
Peeler
IMG_20200223_100341521.jpg.
Zester
IMG_20200223_100317228.jpg
Overview
IMG_20200223_100244543.jpg

I always peel away from me. I just personally find it safer and don't find it comfortable peeling towards myself.

Most of the time, I just use a scotchbrite pad to lightly clean. Takes just the right amount off. Depends on who I am cooking for.

I don’t bother peeling any of my vegetables except for onions and winter squash. Carrots, beets , potatoes, cucumbers, I eat with the skin on. I figure the fiber is good for you and it saved me time.

Whether or not I peel carrots or most other vegis depends on, as a friend put it, "How reputable does the peel look?" Sometimes the skins of carrots and potatoes, in particular, look a bit disreputable.

Carrots from the garden, I just give a rub or a scrub. Or do like my Grandma did, rub them in the grass! I thought this was about store-bought carrots and which peeler people like. BTW, I toss the peels in a bag for veggie stock and pop that in the freezer. I actually got my Dad to let me leave the skins on potatoes for stew the other night! OMG! And those weren't even garden potatoes, had to give them a good scrub first. Think there might be hope I can get him to let me stop peeling garden carrots someday?????!!!!

I thought it was so us left-handed people could use it also. lol
Maybe it is! If you are not a lefty, you have no idea how many things we have had to reverse engineer! Can openers! OMG, you have no idea how hard a righty can opener is to use. It took me forever to master using a can opener. I still have problems with certain types of can openers. And don't get me started on how challenging cork screws can be.

Last edited:
Maybe it is! If you are not a lefty, you have no idea how many things we have had to reverse engineer! Can openers! OMG, you have no idea how hard a righty can opener is to use. It took me forever to master using a can opener. I still have problems with certain types of can openers. And don't get me started on how challenging cork screws can be.

Cork screws are backwards...no doubt about it. How to shred a cork, give it to the lefty to get it.

Short strokes both ways since the peeler has two blades for each direction. Keep it sharp with a diamond steel that was bought in the fishing section (great to sharpen hooks). Hang it on a shoulder hook not kept in a drawer with other stuff. That way the blades won't get nicked or dulled. Like the serrated peeler too.

I thought that peeling was done because of the risk for cysts of nematodes or intestinal worms and other micro organisms. Potatoes that have had the skins treated with growth suppressants to slow sprouting during long storage have this chemical removed when peeled.

I thought that peeling was done because of the risk for cysts of nematodes or intestinal worms and other micro organisms. Potatoes that have had the skins treated with growth suppressants to slow sprouting during long storage have this chemical removed when peeled.
I don't even know what all those words mean! Kidding, I do, but given that I am talking about carrots and potatoes I have planted--none of that, I hope, applies in my case. Still love to swipe a carrot on dew-kissed grass to get the dirt off in the morning and bite into it. Makes me think of when my Grandma and I would go out in the morning to collect eggs and inspect what might have grown in the garden overnight.

I don't even know what all those words mean! Kidding, I do, but given that I am talking about carrots and potatoes I have planted--none of that, I hope, applies in my case. Still love to swipe a carrot on dew-kissed grass to get the dirt off in the morning and bite into it. Makes me think of when my Grandma and I would go out in the morning to collect eggs and inspect what might have grown in the garden overnight.
It doesn't matter who plants any vegetables - nematodes and pathogens are endemic practically everywhere except maybe arctic areas. They're part of the soil structure.

I don't think that's the reason for peeling them, though. I peel carrots because the skin tastes bitter to me. Yes, even on carrots I've grown myself. I peel potatoes that have thick skins because I can't eat high-fiber foods, or when they've started to turn green.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom