Peirogi anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XeniA

Sous Chef
So, speaking of comfort food, the coming of cold weather, etc., etc. ... anybody else out there doing peirogi?

Used to go to a Wednesday-night Ukranian church supper which specialized in these babies. Soft potato and cheese inside and melted butter and sauteed onions on top. Lord, heaven on a plate!

Wondering who makes these, and if so what tips they might have to share. I've made them only twice -- once with a pro, eons ago, and once just me and the kidlets. I'd like to make them again and freeze some since they're pretty labor-intensive to make...

I have made some myself, and I know there are a couple of threads around here somewhere about them. I love to add bacon, green onions, cheddar, cream cheese and potatoes to my filling!

Angie said:
I have made some myself, and I know there are a couple of threads around here somewhere about them. I love to add bacon, green onions, cheddar, cream cheese and potatoes to my filling!

Excellent mouth-watering ideas, Angie, thanks.

Yummm!

I have made pierogis a several times and then I made some using won ton wraps. Makes it alot easier. I fill mine with potatoes and cheese and also add some pork and onions fried. Also do kraut and potatoes and cheese. I make them alot around deer hunting time for the guys.

being married to polish family I soon learn to make the kupusta and perogis.
we set a day in the fall and 7 of us would get together and make them for the day. one make dough one cutting them out a couple on stove detail then we would layer them on sheet pans and then bag them up and freeze them.
we would make about 350 - 400 of them and anytime we wanted some just go to grams and pick up a bag. It was alot of fun . FIL gone and MIL in home so the daughter and I just make them for ourselves now.

Last edited:
ok, that`s It, I Give up!

that`s Twice now in as many days I`ve heard of these perogies, I`m simply going to have to try these myself (never tried or even seen them before).
they sound a bit like Huge raviolis/tortelinis or wonton?

a couple of questions tho; Can they be made with wholemeal flour?
and can you boil them in Stock, like Chicken stock or something?

YT2095 said:
a couple of questions tho; Can they be made with wholemeal flour?
and can you boil them in Stock, like Chicken stock or something?

They are your basic carb overload. I am sure you could make it with wholemeal flour but not having done that I couldn't help on advice. You can boil them in anything you like, but really, most folks boil them in water, then fry them lightly with some onions.

The best advice I have for you is to let the dough rest for an hour after you mix it. It needs that time. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom