I don't know about the 'great' category, but here is one from my file:
Beer-Batter Fried Pickles
Serve this Alabama-original, fried pickles, at your next barbecue for a fun twist on a favorite condiment.
32 ounces dill pickle sandwich slices -- drained
1 large egg
12 ounces beer
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Spicy Ranch Dipping Sauce
1. Pat pickles dry with paper towels.
2. Whisk together egg and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; add 1 1/2 cups flour, and whisk until smooth.
3. Pour oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches into a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat to 375°.
4. Dip pickle slices into batter, allowing excess batter to drip off. Fry pickles, in batches, 3 to 4 minutes or until golden. Drain and pat dry on paper towels; serve immediately with Spicy Ranch Dipping Sauce.
5. Note: For testing purposes only, we used Vlasic Kosher Dill Stackers.
Beer-Batter Fried Pickles Recipe | MyRecipes.com