Potato freshness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I bought a bag of purple potatoes at Whole Foods about a week ago and have kept them stored in a bin in my pantry closet. Last night I took a couple of them out to cook and they were slightly soft. Are they fresh enough to eat? I made some hash browns and they tasted fine.

I bought a bag of purple potatoes at Whole Foods about a week ago and have kept them stored in a bin in my pantry closet. Last night I took a couple of them out to cook and they were slightly soft. Are they fresh enough to eat? I made some hash browns and they tasted fine.

I'd say you have already answered your own question.

The potatoes I made the gnocchi with a couple of night ago were slightly soft. The potato basket gets too much sunlight in our new house so it either has to be moved or we'll have to cover up the potatoes with a dishtowel or something because they sprouted and I had to knock off the sprouts. Or, alternatively, not buy a 5-pound sack since we don't use them up fast enough.

When a potato starts to develop little white roots, then it becomes questionable whether it is still edible.

When a potato starts to develop little white roots, then it becomes questionable whether it is still edible.
You mean the sprouts? They're still edible - just break off the sprouts and use the potatoes soon.

If they're turning green under the skin, peel off all the green - it can cause upset stomach. Solanine is a natural toxin, you know ;)

Last edited:
Depends on how soft.

If they are green throw them out (mind you, how you could tell with purple potatoes, I'm not sure).

According to a report in the Daily Mirror (British tabloid newspaper - aimed, apparently, at a consumer with reading age of 10!) purple potatoes will stop you getting cancer

Baked purple spuds might help people beat cancer.

The superfood from South America now available here is packed with antioxidants which kill off tumours.

In tests on mice the potatoes, usually the size of a golf ball, halted the growth of bowel cancers by targeting their “master” stem cells.

Prof Jairam Vanamala, of Pennsylvania State University in the US said a starch in the potatoes boosted the immune function in the gut.

And this could cause cancer cells to “self-destruct.”
(I thought purple was an appropriate colour to paste the cutting :))

According to a report in the Daily Mirror (British tabloid newspaper - aimed, apparently, at a consumer with reading age of 10!) purple potatoes will stop you getting cancer!
The key words are "might" and "could." What works in animal models doesn't always work in humans.

Last edited:
I have a question.
I have bought russet potatoes that were very fresh. Very firm. Yet they were a bit green under the skin.
How could they be old if they were still hard and looked as fresh as they could be. Beautiful potatoes. I can tell an old potato from a fresh potato.
I heard back in the day about the green under the skin, but it warned only of sickness, not freshness.
Is green under the skin a sure sign of age?

RB, I think green is a sign of exposure to sun, not of age. It's important to peel the green parts off, they can make you sick.

RB, I think green is a sign of exposure to sun, not of age. It's important to peel the green parts off, they can make you sick.
Yes, I was about to say that, too.

The following info comes from the The Food Safety Authority of Ireland website:

"Whilst not acutely toxic in humans, there are a number of reports suggesting that ingestion of potatoes containing high levels of glycoalkaloids have led to poisoning incidents where the main symptoms displayed are irritation of the gut and also drowsiness. These symptoms have also been shown at high doses of glycoalkaloids in controlled experiments using human volunteers."

It also says that there is no connection between expectant mothers consuming green potatoes and the incidence of spina bifida in their babies (there was a scare about this a long time ago).

If they're turning green under the skin, peel off all the green - it can cause upset stomach. Solanine is a natural toxin, you know ;)
Yes I know that....a toxin is a toxin regardless of whether it is synthetic or not. :rolleyes:

...Last night I took a couple of them out to cook and they were slightly soft. Are they fresh enough to eat?..
I might be the only person who does this, or at least the only one to admit it, but when I have sprouting, slightly soft potatoes, I just cut them up for mashed a few hours before I'm going to boil them. After peeling* and cutting into chunks, they sit in water until it's time to cook them. By the time I give them one more rinse before boiling them, they are just about as firm as a just-bought one. I've always figured the softening comes from a loss of moisture. Restore moisture=restore texture. Himself has never been able to tell if a potato has been a just-bought one or an older one. He enjoys them both. Neither of us have ever felt sick afterwards.

I do cut off any green, but I rarely have any since I store them in a bin in the basement, then cover them with a cotton towel.

* I don't normally peel potatoes, but I do if they're wrinkly. Those skins are a bit rubbery, even when soaked.

According to Penn State University regarding green potatoes:

"Because of the bitter taste, it is rare for someone to eat enough to actually get sick."

Green Potatoes — Home Food Preservation — Penn State Extension

According to U.S. NIH:

"Potatoes that are not green and have had any sprouts removed are safe to eat."

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002875.htm

An interesting article regarding green tinged potato chips:

What's Up With Those Green Potato Chips You Sometimes Find? | Mental Floss

Depends on how soft.

If they are green throw them out (mind you, how you could tell with purple potatoes, I'm not sure).

According to a report in the Daily Mirror (British tabloid newspaper - aimed, apparently, at a consumer with reading age of 10!) purple potatoes will stop you getting cancer

Baked purple spuds might help people beat cancer.

The superfood from South America now available here is packed with antioxidants which kill off tumours.

In tests on mice the potatoes, usually the size of a golf ball, halted the growth of bowel cancers by targeting their “master” stem cells.

Prof Jairam Vanamala, of Pennsylvania State University in the US said a starch in the potatoes boosted the immune function in the gut.

And this could cause cancer cells to “self-destruct.”
(I thought purple was an appropriate colour to paste the cutting :))

Wow that's amazing! Great to know!

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

How do you remove the sprouts from a potato? Is there a special kitchen gadget for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Purple potato crisps are great! Very light and super crunchy - available from good health shops. ;)

Back
Top Bottom