Potato Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You shun microwaves? What have they done to you? ;)

Cooks Illustrated did an experiment and found that skewered potatoes cook maybe a couple minutes faster and aren't worth the effort.
I dislike the idea of bombarding food with microwaves - I prefer a more simple form of heat. Please don't bother me with info on their safety etc - not interested. We all have a right to choose what appliances we have in our homes, yes???

I was not referring to the 4 pronged small skewers that you buy for potatoes, but the kebab skewer. I oil it then skewer it right through the potato via its centre. I find this does help reduce baking time by much more than a few minutes i.e. with the more rounded potatoes that may not cook through to the centre so quickly. This is my direct experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to try that... it seems easier than potato gratin but still pretty.

My favorite on potato recipe so far is baby potato baked with garlic and rosemary.
I cut them in half and boiled them,
then bake with chopped rosemary, whole garlic (skin and all) and oil (sometimes olive, sometimes canola, whatever i have around). easy peasy but yummy :)

I'll have to try that! Easy peasy AND YUMMY! Win. Win. Win. :yum:

I like to make mashies with evaporated milk, sometimes because we don't have any fresh milk or cream in the fridge, and sometimes just because evap milk gives them a different taste.

I dislike the idea of bombarding food with microwaves - I prefer a more simple form of heat. Please don't bother me with info on their safety etc - not interested. We all have a right to choose what appliances we have in our homes, yes???

I was not referring to the 4 pronged small skewers that you buy for potatoes, but the kebab skewer. I oil it then skewer it right through the potato via its centre. I find this does help reduce baking time by much more than a few minutes i.e. with the more rounded potatoes that may not cook through to the centre so quickly. This is my direct experience.

They actually used a set of five fairly thick skewers. As with everything, YMMV.

Regarding the microwave, one reason I use mine frequently, such as for par-cooking potatoes before roasting, is because it takes much less energy to cook food than any other method, so it's more efficient and less expensive. Also, there's no waste of water, since most people just discard water used to boil food.

Take it easy, though. No one is demanding that you buy and use a microwave.

Of course I knew the possibilities where endless.

Chief Longrind of the North: For baking, I have always done the same thing... made a criss-cross cut in the top, but then squeeze it open. Of course never with foil. I don't know why that ever became a 'thing' for baking potatoes. But the result is equivalent to microwaving when 'baking' a potato, which is basically steaming, not baking.

Creative: On average, I find baked potatoes take about an hour. I just plan for that hour, and can certainly do other things while they are baking. I remember my mom used to rub the potatoes with butter before putting them in the oven, but I don't do that. I shun the microwave too. Well except for reheating a single serving of leftovers, or reheating the coffee that went cold. Oh, and I do occasionally steam broccoli in the microwave. But that'll be my secret. That said, if someone took away the microwave, I could do without it.

Craig C: Your scalloped potato & fennel looks great! Some things I just don't fix for just me, especially using heavy cream. Great company/family dish though.

DeandraAyu: Anything with rosemary (especially potatoes) is aces in my book. Nothing better than fresh rosemary. Love that recipe. It reminds me of one I do with baby potatoes and herbs de provence (another wonderful seasoning). That recipe called for mixing the potatoes with a little olive oil, s&p, minced garlic and herbs de provence, spreading them out in a baking disband baking at 400 deg. F. But then there was another that called for cutting up red potatoes, spread on a baking sheet, which got the potatoes almost cooked before removing the foil and finishing cooking and browning. Both required turning during baking and both worked... resulting in tender, beautifully browned potatoes. Maybe you don't really have to boil them first?

Some more potato anecdotes....

It's pretty hard to screw up a potato but I have done just that more than once!

I use my microwave quite often and when I want a quick baked potato I prefer a russet. I simply puncture the ends with a tooth pick to relieve pressure and microwave for about 5 minutes. The only drawback is they tend to be a little drier than baked in the oven.

One of the reasons I prefer russets is the heavy skin. When I bake in the oven, I never cover them with anything. I'd sooner give the inside to someone else and scarf down the potato skin with butter, S&P along with any other condiment suitable for potatoes.

Getting back to puncturing potatoes prior to baking....My poor step-mother once opened the oven to poke a baking potato for done-ness and it exploded violently all over her face! Thank God she was wearing glasses because the scalding hot potato flesh stuck to her skin and glasses or she could have done serious damage to her eyes. She ended up with second degree burns all over her face! Since then I have always punctured my potatoes to relieve baking pressure.

Last edited:
I bombard baking potatoes in my microwave (3 minutes for one, 5 minutes for two) then into the oven for 30 minutes. That cooks the potato in about half the time and gives you the desirable baked potato skin we all love.

I bombard baking potatoes in my microwave (3 minutes for one, 5 minutes for two) then into the oven for 30 minutes. That cooks the potato in about half the time and gives you the desirable baked potato skin we all love.

+1 Again Andy, we think so much alike.:)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like to make mashies with evaporated milk, sometimes because we don't have any fresh milk or cream in the fridge, and sometimes just because evap milk gives them a different taste.

I make my chowders always with evaporated milk. Most folks think I used cream. :angel:

In the original JOC, the author has a recipe of mashed potatoes with whipped cream, S&P, and melted butter. You fold the whipped cream in very gently. I made them once and fell in love. But they are very rich and to die for. If I remember you mash the potaotes, add the melted butter along with the S&P. Then fold in the whipped cream. I just don't remember the amounts. :angel:

Way back when microwaves were just coming out for home use and still pretty expensive so a lot of people, including me, didn't have one, the place I had just started to work at did. Well, since I didn't know how to use one, I asked one of the girls who had been there a while and used it how long it took to cook a potato with the microwave. She told me about 10 minutes. I told her thanks and went to the kitchen. Assuming that the 10 minutes meant cooking time, I put in the potato, set the timer and the power and went back to work while my lunch cooked. OOPS! Guess what, potatoes can catch on fire and rather spectacularly at that. After multiple apologies and a heck of a clean-up I did get to keep my job, had only been there a couple of weeks when it happened. Learned my lesson about not getting full details with that one.

The best BP I've ever had came from a lunch spot in the mall. They cooked them in a pizza oven, don't know what temp but they were always fluffy and soft. My favorite was the old standard of butter, cheddar, bacon and sour cream. These were HUGE potatoes. You definitely got your money's worth in potato and toppings.

Last edited:
Oh, and I do occasionally steam broccoli in the microwave. But that'll be my secret.

It's also really good for steaming asparagus. I trim, divide the bunch in half, wet paper towels (enough for under and over) and put the tips of each half in toward the center so they are a little more protected. Much easier to control the cooking and they are never over-cooked. Plus, I don't have an asparagus cooker so I would either have to use a really big pot or cut them up instead of leaving whole spears. I usually start out with 2 minutes on high for 2 servings of the pencil asparagus and check from there until crisp tender.

Has anyone had a baked potato done on a barbecue (in foil)? (I believe its placed in the embers). Am wondering how the flavour compares with baking one in the oven. Of course this assumes that it is just a potato comparison, I daresay things are added to the barbecued potato.

Last edited:
Has anyone had a baked potato done on a barbecue (in foil)? (I believe its placed in the embers). Am wondering how the flavour compares with baking one in the oven. Of course this assumes that it is just a potato comparison, I daresay things are added to the barbecued potato.

No, but I have had both russet and sweet done "caveman" style, directly in the coals.

I do that all the time. You need to put it in two layers of foil. I usually brush the outside with a bit of EVOO before wrapping the potato. Takes about as long as it does in the oven. I like them...they are a bit drier than those done in the oven.

Has anyone had a baked potato done on a barbecue (in foil)? (I believe its placed in the embers). Am wondering how the flavor compares with baking one in the oven. Of course this assumes that it is just a potato comparison, I daresay things are added to the barbecued potato.

I've done in the bone fire, after fire dies down, put potato in the embers with or without foil, (if you do not mind get your hand and face dirty :yum:) bake till done. Really depends on the size of the potato. I prefer white/yellow potato, not red.

One cannot describe the flavor of fire bake d potato, especially without foil. It is absolutely amazing. Wrapped in foil is also good, but closer to that of oven baked.

Wonder what the purpose of the water is? At best I might be inclined to use stock instead. Any liquid would evaporate fairly fast anyway + get absorbed into the potatoes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom