Potato Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JanetMlr

Cook
The rain kind of changed our plans so I made my coffee, and vegetated in bed watching TV and looking up some recipes on the laptop. Brunch was in my immediate future. I had one sm.-med. red potato left. First I was thinking home fries (lots of variations for those), then decided on a potato pancake. I got my guidance from Giada De Laurentiis on the Food Network site. I say "guidance" because I'm making it for one, so I've gotten used to winging it with recipes.

I shredded the potato and squeezed out the moisture using a cheesecloth and put that in a small bowl. In a small fry pan I sautéed a small amount of chopped onion in a little olive oil and added 1 clove of crushed garlic to that. I added that to the potato along with a handful of grated parmesan cheese, salt & pepper, and chopped fresh basil. And, I had a small amount of grated cheddar and crumbled bacon I had used for a cauliflower crust grilled cheese, so I mixed that in too. No egg or flour in this recipe. I added a little more olive oil to the pan and then added and pressed down the potato mixture in the heated pan. After peeking at the bottom for doneness, I gently flipped it over. To my amazement, it flipped over perfectly. I slid it onto the plate when done and put it back in the low oven with my turkey bacon to keep warm while I fried an egg. Then plopped that egg right on top!

Not only pretty... but delicious!

Would love to seem some more potato recipes (potato skins, home fries, potato cakes, etc.)

A little hint that saved a step when making home fries. I cut the potatoes up super little... added seasonings and grated onion... didn't have to par cook the potatoes.

Last edited:
Not exactly a recipe, but I found this in the freezer case at Trader Joe's today and thought that it might be an easy choice for a busy day
56875-albums996-picture5991.jpg

I have found a preferable method for making potato rosti to that of grating it raw and squeezing out the liquid.

Although I have seen recipes that suggest parboiling the potatoes (which is also pretty good), I tend to partly bake my potatoes. For instance, if I am using the oven for a main meal, I might pop in a potato for partial cooking (for the next day's rosti). Temperature and timing need not be too specific but a medium oven for about 10 - 15 mins suffices.

I find the rosti then cooks out better and gives more crispness (sometimes some sweetness, depending on how long the potato has been in the oven for).

One of our simple favorites is new potatoes, quartered, rubbed with olive oil, shaken up inside a bag full of Lipton's onion soup mix, and baked in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. It always comes out just right, full of salty/oniony flavor.

I sometimes bake a potato in the microwave until cooked through. I cut the spud in half, across the middle. Using hot pads to hold the hot spud half, I start stabbing into the potato flesh with a fork, then add a pat of butter, a little salt, and some black pepper. I continue stabbing with a fork until the potato flesh is well combined with the other stuff. A splash of milk then turns the potato into mashed potato in the skin. It's yummy and easy. People look at you funny in the work cafeteria when you do it there. Some are impressed. Some think I'm a crazy person, or at least odd. I don't care. I'm not doing it for them, but for me.

Use an apple core removal tool to make a tunnel the length of a potato. Fill the tunnel with something tasty. Cut the plug in half and insert in both ends. Bake until done through. Looks and tastes great.

Dice corned beef. Dice potatoes. Season with black pepper and fry together until the spuds are lightly browned. Does anybody not like corned beef hash?

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Not exactly a recipe, but I found this in the freezer case at Trader Joe's today and thought that it might be an easy choice for a busy day
56875-albums996-picture5991.jpg
I'm a big fan of anything Trader Joe's. Unfortunately, I don't eat mushrooms. That really looks good though. No young kids with crazy schedules, so really no need for prepared foods. And I try to watch sodium content too. I admit to using them when the kids were young though. Great choice for busy schedules though, and you really can't go wrong to TJ's.

One of our simple favorites is new potatoes, quartered, rubbed with olive oil, shaken up inside a bag full of Lipton's onion soup mix, and baked in the oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes. It always comes out just right, full of salty/oniony flavor.
Sounds really good... seriously. But I don't use onion soup mixes... way too high in sodium. But definitely some good flavors there for potatoes.

2 recipes that our family likes

Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Serves 12

5 lbs. Potatoes, peeled and quartered
½ stick (4 Tbsp.) Butter
1 ½ C. (60 oz.) Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1 C. Sour Cream
2 Eggs, beaten
¼ C. Milk
1 C. Green Onions, chopped
4 strips of Bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
2 ½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Black Pepper

Preheat the oven to 350⁰
Lightly butter a 3qt. baking dish
Cook the Potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water, until tender
Drain and return to the hot pot, along with the Butter; mash to your desired consistency
Stir in the Milk, Sour Cream, Eggs and 1 ¼ cup of the Cheddar Cheese until well incorporated
Fold in ¾ cup of the Green Onions, half of the bacon and the S&P
Pour into your baking dish; bake uncovered for 40 minutes
Just as you remove from the oven, top with the remaining ingredients

Exploded Potatoes
Serves 8-10

8 Baking Potatoes
8 strips Bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
1 ½ C. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
½ C. Mayonnaise
½ C. Ranch Dressing

Preheat the oven to 350⁰
Bake the Potatoes until done, about 1 – 1½ hours
Lightly butter a large casserole
In a large bowl mash the potatoes, skin on
Add in Bacon, Cheese, Mayo and Ranch Dressing; combine well
Spread into the casserole; bake for 45 minutes
Top with the Green Onions and serve

(SSSHHHH!! Don't tell my darling husband what's in these dishes... he CLAIMS to dislike Sour Cream, Mayo and Ranch Dressing :huh:)

Sounds really good... seriously. But I don't use onion soup mixes... way too high in sodium. But definitely some good flavors there for potatoes.

You can do a search for copycat Lipton Onion Soup Mix and get some ideas for making your own. You can leave out the beef bouillon if you want, since that's where most of the salt is, and use paprika, garlic powder, dried thyme, etc. Whatever you like.

I love to make twice-baked potatoes. Make baked potatoes, cut them in half and scoop out the insides into a bowl. Make mashed potatoes and add in stuff like grated cheddar cheese, fresh chopped parsley, bacon bits, dried onion flakes, etc. Top with a little more cheese and bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes till hot and cheese is melted.

I also love to make these Greek-style lemon-garlic potatoes from Cooks Illustrated: http://dishingwithdish.blogspot.com/2013/09/greek-style-garlic-lemon-potatoes.html

Last edited:
I love to make twice-baked potatoes. Make baked potatoes, cut them in half and scoop out the insides into a bowl. Make mashed potatoes and add in stuff like grated cheddar cheese, fresh chopped parsley, bacon bits, dried onion flakes, etc. Top with a little more cheese and bake at 350°F for about 20 minutes till hot and cheese is melted.

I also love to make these Greek-style lemon-garlic potatoes from Cooks Illustrated: What A Dish!: Greek-Style Garlic-Lemon Potatoes
A few great ideas. I LOVE twice baked. Hectic holiday meals are a great time to do them (well any time is a great time)... make them ahead of time, heat the later. I like them with a little extra pepper and parmesan on top. I don't cut them in have (gluttons that we are). I make a slit in the top to bake, and then just cut off a small piece of the top to scoop them out. then refill them. A whole potato for all. Simple but always great... and the possibilities are endless.

Twice Baked Potato Casserole
Serves 12

5 lbs. Potatoes, peeled and quartered
½ stick (4 Tbsp.) Butter
1 ½ C. (60 oz.) Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1 C. Sour Cream
2 Eggs, beaten
¼ C. Milk
4 strips of Bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
2 ½ tsp. Salt
½ tsp. Black Pepper

Preheat the oven to 350⁰
Lightly butter a 3qt. baking dish
Cook the Potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water, until tender
Drain and return to the hot pot, along with the Butter; mash to your desired consistency
Stir in the Milk, Sour Cream, Eggs and 1 ¼ cup of the Cheddar Cheese until well incorporated
Fold in ¾ cup of the Green Onions, half of the bacon and the S&P
Pour into your baking dish; bake uncovered for 40 minutes
Just as you remove from the oven, top with the remaining ingredients

Exploded Potatoes
Serves 8-10

8 Baking Potatoes
8 strips Bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
1 ½ C. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
½ C. Mayonnaise
½ C. Ranch Dressing

Preheat the oven to 350⁰
Bake the Potatoes until done, about 1 – 1½ hours
Lightly butter a large casserole
In a large bowl mash the potatoes, skin on
Add in Bacon, Cheese, Mayo and Ranch Dressing; combine well
Spread into the casserole; bake for 45 minutes
Top with the Green Onions and serve

(SSSHHHH!! Don't tell my darling husband what's in these dishes... he CLAIMS to dislike Sour Cream, Mayo and Ranch Dressing :huh:)
Yummmmm! Definitely have to try that one when there's company.

Your secret is safe with me!

A few great ideas. I LOVE twice baked. Hectic holiday meals are a great time to do them (well any time is a great time)... make them ahead of time, heat the later. I like them with a little extra pepper and parmesan on top. I don't cut them in have (gluttons that we are). I make a slit in the top to bake, and then just cut off a small piece of the top to scoop them out. then refill them. A whole potato for all. Simple but always great... and the possibilities are endless.

I use russet potatoes for twice-baked since they have a nice, tough skin and they're usually pretty big - like a pound apiece.

Another nice presentation is to simply bake russets until done (no foil wrapping please). Remove and cut a line through the top of the potato, down the middle, from end to end, and then another line across the potato middle, perpendicular to the first cut. Avoid cutting the bottom of the skin. Then press down around the intersection of the two cuts to force the potato open. Put a pat of butter, maybe some chives, bacon bits, or whatever garnish/flavor you want, and serve them up. The potato flavor is very pronounced. This is pure potato goodness, skin and all.

When making potato soup, boil 5 spuds with the skin on until done through. At the same time, peel and dice 1 small rutabaga and boil until tender. Peel the spuds, and cut into cubes about the size of playing dice except for one potato. Mash the un-diced potato with milk and butter to eliminate all lumps.

Make a roux of 2 tbs. butter and 2 tbs. flour. Slowly whisk in milk until a smooth sauce is formed. Season with salt, pepper to taste, and a pinch of nutmeg. Add the mashed potato and stir until smooth. Add the remaining potato and rutabaga and stir. Serve piping hot with good bread rolls.

For variation, thicken the roux with chicken broth instead of milk. It's still yummy. The rutabaga adds a touch of sweet, almost cabbage flavor to the soup, a flavor combination that is classic in New England Boiled Dinner. I have to give mys sister credit for this. But if you want to take it over the top, add diced ham, or fried bacon to the soup, with some sauteed onion.

Lastly, boil diced and peeled spuds (yukon Gold is good for this one) until done through. Force through a ricer and into a serving bowl. Serve with an ice cream scoop. Top with butter.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I tend to favour potatoes with a meal (rather than rice or noodles) unless it's pasta.

Since baked potatoes take a long time in the oven (admittedly less if they are skewered) - and I shun microwaves, I have found a compromise. Kind of semi baked potato and semi "roasted". I halve a potato and criss cross it # - then rub it with oil and salt and bake. Takes about 45 mins at Mk. 6 and is really nice.

Other times, when I bake potatoes, say alongside a casserole, I will bake twice as much as I need. The next day I will either heat up the casserole in a pan and slice the potatoes (like hot pot potatoes) and place them separately in a heatproof dish, brush with melted butter and put them on low grill to crisp up and heat through. Else I will slice the potatoes directly on top of the casserole (still kept in its oven dish), do the melted butter routine and bake altogether in oven....less successful in the crisping up though. (Meat tends to be heated before the potatoes go brown).

Last edited:
Scalloped Potato & Fennel
12 servings

Ingredients
•6 garlic cloves, peeled, smashed
•4 2-inch-long fresh rosemary sprigs
•2 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
•2 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
•3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
•2 large fresh fennel bulbs with fronds
•3 1/2 pounds medium russet potatoes
•1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

Special equipment
•V-slicer or mandoline

Preparation
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Scalloped-Potatoes-and-Fennel-355783

Last edited by a moderator:
I tend to favour potatoes with a meal (rather than rice or noodles) unless it's pasta.

Since baked potatoes take a long time in the oven (admittedly less if they are skewered) - and I shun microwaves, I have found a compromise. Kind of semi baked potato and semi "roasted". I halve a potato and criss cross it # - then rub it with oil and salt and bake. Takes about 45 mins at Mk. 6 and is really nice.

You shun microwaves? What have they done to you? ;)

Cooks Illustrated did an experiment and found that skewered potatoes cook maybe a couple minutes faster and aren't worth the effort.

There is always Potatoes Anna. While there are tons of variations on the recipe, the basics are thinly sliced potatoes, clarified butter, and salt/pepper. Layer it all in a cast iron skillet then bake. Invert it and it looks pretty on a plate.

No one has ever gone wrong with carbs + butter from the flavor standpoint! :yum:

I sometimes will use broth and herbs to add flavor and cut some of the fat....but likely not technically "Potatoes Anna." :LOL:

Last edited:
There is always Potatoes Anna. While there are tons of variations on the recipe, the basics are thinly sliced potatoes, clarified butter, and salt/pepper. Layer it all in a cast iron skillet then bake. Invert it and it looks pretty on a plate.

No one has ever gone wrong with carbs + butter from the flavor standpoint! :yum:

I sometimes will use broth and herbs to add flavor and cut some of the fat....but likely not technically "Potatoes Anna." :LOL:

I have to try that... it seems easier than potato gratin but still pretty.

My favorite on potato recipe so far is baby potato baked with garlic and rosemary.
I cut them in half and boiled them,
then bake with chopped rosemary, whole garlic (skin and all) and oil (sometimes olive, sometimes canola, whatever i have around). easy peasy but yummy :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom