Powerful Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amcardon

Cook
So I tried the garlic we grew this year for the first time today and man is it powerful! The bulbs aren't too big and they are quite a deep red to my surprise... The aroma was very strong and the flavor is incredible! I'm thinking maybe we just don't have a long enough growing season here for garlic... I'm in Idaho and we had our first freeze yesterday :mad: I like the warm weather so much better! I grew up in Oregon where anything you planted would grow like wild fire... Only thing that grows here are potatoes...

Anyway, any tips for getting larger bulbs? Planting them inside first and transplanting when it's warm enough? I didn't know how well garlic would transplant... Any info would be great!

I think that for cooler climates, you plant in the fall, and plant at a deeper depth than usual. Try 'googling' growing garlic + cool climates, and see what you get!

If you have the red-skinned kind - can't remember the name of it - I do think it's 'hotter' than 'white' garlic.

I've never had much success growing garlic, but some of my Italian friends grow wonderful garlic around here. They plant it in Oct, and harvest it late summer.

Back
Top Bottom