Red Lentil Curry with Cauliflower and Tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
Red Lentil Curry with Cauliflower and Tomatoes

Ingredients:

• 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp peanut oil
  • 2 tbsp minced garlic
  • 2 tbsp minced ginger
  • 1 or 2 habanero chilis, ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped (optional. I like heat ;))
  • 1 tbsp Bengali 5-spice (panch phoran)*
  • 1 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1 cup red lentils
  • 1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 3 to 4 cups water
  • 1 14-oz can fire roasted tomatoes with juice
  • Juice from 1 lime
  • Salt to taste
  • Cooked basmati rice
Preparation:
1. Saute onion in peanut oil over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic, ginger, habanero, 5-spice, and turmeric. Saute for 30 seconds, being careful to not let the spices burn.

2. Add lentils, cauliflower, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until lentils and cauliflower are tender. If mixture becomes too thick or dry, you can add some water to thin it out a bit.

3. Stir in tomatoes and lime juice and cook for a few minutes more. Add salt to taste. Serve over basmati rice.

*If you don't have Bengali 5-spice, you can make it by combining equal parts sesame seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, and black mustard seeds. All seeds should be left whole.

Last edited:
I can't wait to try it!! I am sure it would taste delicious. I am from South Asia....and prepare South Asian meals almost everyday. I have never tried cooking red lentils with any kind of vegetables. I do, however, prepare yellow lentils with veggies in it.

Back
Top Bottom