Red Onions in Abundance - Need Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whole Milk said:
Also, how long do fresh potatoes last in the fridge?
Make sure that if you are storing your potatoes in the fridge that you let them come back to room temp before cooking them. When potatoes are stored in the fridge some of the starch converts to sugar. It will go back to starch, but only if you bring them to room temp before cooking.

Last edited:
I, too, was going to say French Onion Soup. Caramelizing was another thought and they can be used many different ways.

You can make a delicious lettuce-less salad with those sweet red onions. Just chop 'em up with some tomatoes and cukes. Then toss everything in your favorite viniagrette or green goddess dressing.

.. But my first reaction was Loprainne's jam idea, too.

If you have a dehydrator chop them up and dehydrate them. I do this with onions, peppers, celery and have even done it with tomatoes. Almost anything can be done. I then pick a mixture of the dried veggies and process in a blender to make my seasoning mixes.

Why not cut them up and freeze them on sheet pans then bag them up. You can then measure out the amount you need for a recipe and toss the rest back in the freezer. Of course they're only good for cooking after they've been frozen.

Cucumbers and onions!!

Just slice up, mix with apple cider vinegar, sugar, water...

Onion soup.

Braunswieger and onion on a cracker..

Make stew..

Make up meat sauces and freeze..

Cut in half, plant and let grow....

I read somewhere that you shouldn't store potatoes in the refrigerator because the cold turns the starch into sugar and makes the potatoes sweet. I don't know - I never keep potatoes in the fridge.

As for the onions, how about an onion pie? The recipe below used Vidalia's to take 5th place in a competition, but I think using red onions would be lovely. Adapt the cheeses and sauces to your taste.

Lee

Vidalia Onion Pie (by Captain Sauce, the World Famous BBQ Forum)

2 lbs thinly sliced Vidalia Onions
1- cup sour cream
3- eggs
1- cup Pepper Jack cheeze
1- cup sharp cheddar
6- tsp butter
4- pieces of smoked bacon fried and crumbled
2- splashes of Marie Sharps Blazen hot sauce (I use tabasco)
1/2 tsp salt
1- tsp white pepper

Saute onions in butter until clear. Let stand and cool some.
Grate cheese. Beat the eggs add the pepper jack, salt, pepper, sour cream and bacon to the eggs and mix well.
Pour into a 9 inch (unbaked)pie shell, add the cheddar cheese on top and bake at 375 for 40 minutes and let cool and serve.

I slice and dice and put them in my dehydrator, then bag them into ziplock bags where they will last forever and available for any onion use.

How's about

• Cheese and onion quiche - or a quiche lorraine.
  • I'd probably use some in a stir-fry or curry.
  • Braised onions - nice with Sunday roast.
  • Cream of onion soup
  • Part of a vegetable kebab
  • Chutney
  • Onion bread or onion rolls
  • fried as a side dish with a burger of some description
Best
Margaret

I vote for the huge pot of French Onion Soup. I do that too using 6 to 8 large onions and then freeze the soup in single or double serving portions. You can never make too much French Onion Soup. When I want FOS I want it NOW!! I just add a large crouton, cover the bowl with Gruyere, Swiss or Havarti cheese and there's lunch.

I would save a few for carmelinzing and using as a flavor base when sauteeing meats and poultry or for whatever you normally use onions for.

Here is what I do when I have lots of onions.

Onion pickles.
Onion chutney.
French onion soup will use up lots of them too. Make some for now and the rest will stay good in the fridge for at least a week.

I wouldnt put uncooked potatoes in the fridge if that is what you are doing. Put them in a dark place such as a cupboard and wrapped up in some dark fabric to block out the light. They will be good for 2 weeks or sometimes longer like this.

Back
Top Bottom