Refrigerated Pickled Veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I had just a couple sweet gherkins, and a couple of Castlevetrano Olives left. I ate them. I thought to myself, Can I reuse the brine and pickle juice? I figured I'd give it a try. I can't give you measurements because i didn't use any. But the end result is definitely work sharing.

Pour the brine from the olive jar into a bowl. Pour the pickling juice from the gherkins jar into the same bowl. Add ]/2 tsp. dried Rosemary. to the mix. Wash, then quarter lengthwise a half cucumber, then slice it into bite-sized pieces. Add two tbs. white vinager and stir.

Add halved cherry tomatoes, sliced onion, cauliflowers, and broccoli as desired. Cover and place in the fridge for three days.

As I said, this came out very tasty, and refreshing to boot. So, don't throw away that pickling juice, or olive brine. Re-purpose it and get a yummy snack, or relish tray.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

That's a good idea Chief. I have a large jar of Kalamata olives with not so many olives at the bottom of a lot of brine. I can steal some of that. I probably have some pickles that could be put in a smaller jar so I can steal some of that brine too.

I've read that when you reuse brine, you should bring it to a boil and then cool before pouring it over the new veggies. Even if you never used your fingers to fish out a pickle or olive, it's probably better to be safe than sorry.

I've done this with pickled beet brine and leftover roasted beets. We were happy with the results.

My Grandma used to do this.

I'm working on emptying out a jar of baby dills as fast as I can so I can make new pickles. I think green beans pickles sound nice. We almost always have leftover beans, on purpose, so easy to do.

I think boiling the brine before re using sounds like a good idea. I'm pretty sure one of us (hmm) goes finger fishing sometimes. Goes right along with keeping a spoon stored inside the ice cream container.

Back
Top Bottom