Roasted veggie chart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
Vilasman's topic on roasting fennel reminded me I have this cooking time chart for roasted veg - I would love everyone to try some of the more 'unusual' veg to roast, like broccoli and cauliflower (especially cauliflower, even if you hate it!) - roasting at a high heat brings the sugars out and totally transforms veggies - even brussel sprouts! :)

This is from Roseanne Gold's book on roasting; although she recommends roasting at 500 degrees F !! - most of the time I'm happy with the results at 425 or 450.

ROASTED VEGETABLE TIMES AND TIPS

- Add dry herbs and seasonings along with oil before roasting.
- Add fresh herbs the last 10-15 minutes.
- After roasting, a small amount of vinegar, stock, fruit juice, cream, yogurt or butter can be added to make a moister serving.
- Seasonings such as Worchestershire or hot pepper sauce should be stirred in after roasting.

Pan sizes:
4 cups veggies - 12x8 pan 8 cups veggies - 14x12 pan 12 cups veggies- 18x13 pan

Cooking times:

30 MINUTES
Small beets
Parsnips
Cherry tomatoes
Potato wedges
Fennel
Whole large shallots
Garlic
Sweet potato wedge
Leeks cut in 1 inch
Turnip wedges
Onion wedges
Parsnips
Zucchini halves
Carrot chunks
Eggplant
Endive/chicory

20 MINUTES
Tomatoes
Trevisio
Zucchini chunks
Shallots,whole,med.

15 MINUTES
Broccoli
Mushrooms
Jerusalem artichokes
Italian fry peppers
1-2in.square bell pepper
Cauliflower

11 MINUTES
Asparagus
Scallions

:D great info!!! have always wanted a list. and I am with you 450 degrees is hot enough!

Thanks alot for doing this, it will be a real time saver!

:D Great chart. Thanks, I have a number of Vegan friends that will enjoy seeing this.

Thanks again :!:

I bought some beautiful young asparagus on Saturday, then had a power outtage that leaves me needing to cook it tonight or lose it. Your chart is going up on my fridge. Thanks, Sandyj

roasted vegetables are fantastic...full of flavor, and adaptable to many styles...with olive oil, with panceta or bacon, with small amounts of broth, etc. over rice or pasta, as a side, as a salad or sandwich topping or filling. If this is not in you rrepetory, give it a try. sooooo gooood

I've only recently added roasted veg to my repertoire. We had friends over and I was tired of the same old same old and just winged it with some red onion sliced into wedges, asparagus, baby bella mushrooms left whole, zuchini and yellow peppers (basically, whatever was in the fridge or pantry). I drizzled olive oil, sprinkled kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. I wasn't sure of the timing though, so it was more labour intensive than I wanted - checking on it every few minutes. Came out nice, and a little made a lot...plus it was pretty. -Sandyj

Wow, what coincidence I'm doing zucchini, bell peppers and potatoes tonight!

This is definately one to print off, thanks for posting it marmalady! :mrgreen:

p.s.
Squash, pumpkin and celery root are also all great when baked.

Wow, you're right; didn't even notice she didn't have those veggies! The squash and pumpkin I'd do at 30 minutes; celery - maybe? - 10?

marm - I love roasted veggies in general - cauliflower, beets, turnips are some of my favorites.

I roasted a BUNCH of veggies one time - (broccoli, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, beets, shallots, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, mushrooms, can't remember what else - oh, carrots, zucchini, squash) made some penne, added some olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper to the penne in the bowl and then topped with these veggies - boy was it good! Roasted cauliflower is a treat and people who hate broccoli love roasted broccoli.

I loooooove roasted cauliflower, Elf! How do you cut yours? I cut big 'slabs' vertically down the whole cauliflower, about 1/2 inch thick.

marmalady said:
I loooooove roasted cauliflower, Elf! How do you cut yours? I cut big 'slabs' vertically down the whole cauliflower, about 1/2 inch thick.

I've never done that marm - I usually keep in fairly large clusters - same for the broccoli. I found out the hard way when I made the broccoli too small that they basically turn to "chips" lol Mind you, I liked the crispy texture - but I'd rather it not be! lol I am going to have to try it your way - sounds really good!!!

marmalady! thanks - this is so helpful! I love roasted veggies - ALL of them. I love it when a thread gets bumped up...I might miss them otherwise! :)

callie said:
marmalady! thanks - this is so helpful! I love roasted veggies - ALL of them. I love it when a thread gets bumped up...I might miss them otherwise! :)
:w00t2: :clap: :flowers: :chef: Why Miz Callie, I see you've become a sous chef..YEA
kadesma

Wow, you're right; didn't even notice she didn't have those veggies! The squash and pumpkin I'd do at 30 minutes; celery - maybe? - 10?
Yes, I do pumpkin and squashes for about 30-45 depending on how they are prepared and at what temp they are being baked. LOL, I had meant celery root also known as celeric, which takes about the same amount of time as a rutabaga, in the neighborhood of 30 minutes. But I do like my veggies really soft and well roasted with a crisp crust (if applicable) so I often leave things in at a much lower temp after the initial cooking.

Celery itself, I almost always bake in the juices from a bird (turkey, duck, chicken, etc) or along side a roast. I like to add them about 25 minutes before you take the meat out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom