Rosh Hashana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I posted this under the general questions and chat board and then realized I should have put it here instead...

I need to make a vegetable dish for Rosh Hashana on Wed. I have had so much going on this week that I have not had time to figure out what I am bringing. What are your tried and true dishes that you like to bring? I need to make this for about 25 people, so as inexpensive as possible would be great. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

how about...

Crisped Parsnips
From Food and Drink Magazine.
8 servings

1 lb parsnip, peeled
1/2 cup milk (or soy milk)
1/2 cup flour (for dredging)
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/4 cup olive oil

Peel parsnips and cut into pieces that are 1/2 in. thick and 4 in. long.
Steam or boil for 5-8 mins. or until crisp tender. Cool.
Toss in milk to coat and drain.
Season flour with salt, pepper, and curry powder and roll parsnips in it, tapping off excess flour.
Heat oil over medium-high heat.
Working in batches, add pasnips and saute, turning frequently, until brown and crispy.

*can reheat on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes at 350 degrees if necessary.

Good Luck!

Not 'traditional' but yummy!

WINTER SQUASH WITH CITRUS HERB SAUCE

makes 6 servings

1T lemon zest
1T orange zest
½ cup water
¼ cup lemon juice
¼ cup orange juice
1 ½ T sugar
¼ tsp. tarragon
1T butter
¼ tsp. white pepper
3 dumpling or acorn squash

Preheat oven to 350. Combine zests, juices, water, sugar, tarragon in saucepan; bring to boil; reduce heat, simmer til reduced to ½ cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter and pepper; keep warm.
Cut squash lengthwise into quarters, discarding seeds and pulp. Place squash cut side down, on a foil lined baking sheet; bake for 30 minutes or til tender; cool slightly; scrape inside of squash with tines of fork. Drizzle sauce over squash. Garnish with fresh tarragon.

Back
Top Bottom