Rutabaga Greens, worth the effort?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Have a bunch of rutabagas growing. They got to a certain point, but never quite bulbed up ( just kinda thickens , like a carrot), but the greens look healthy and plentiful.

Question is, are the greens worth the effort of trying to do something with, or should I just compost or chicken them and save my time and efforts ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 5.21.49 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 5.21.49 AM.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 113
Rutababa greens are good - think turnip greens. I always save the greens from those, as well as kohlrabi, when harvesting them.

Thats what I figured. Thanks. I blanched and plan on freezing them for future use.
Probably should have started them a few weeks earlier, but still managed to get enough to do something with. This was my first year growing them.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 2.45.35 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 2.45.35 PM.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 77
I've never seen rutabagas tat looked like those pictured. I had relatives that grew them every year. They were round, like an oversized turnip, and were kind of beige/yellow on the bottom, and purple on top.

Rutabagas are a cross between a cabbage, and a turnip. They were first grown in Germany, if I recall correctly. So yess, the greens are very edible. You never see the in stores however.

This site shows what I'm used to seeing.

https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/outdoors/gardening/is-a-rutabaga-a-turnip

Rutabaga mashed, with butter, pepper, and brown sugar is spectacular.

I would think that the greens would be a lot like uwing collard greens, or fresh spinach. You could even use it in lasagna.

Here's a recipe:

3 cups Tomato Ragu (not the brand, but real ragu), with 1 lb. coarse ground beef, or with sliced sausage of choice ( Kielbasa, Italian Sausage, Bratwurst, etc.), 1/2 cup rutabaga greens, chopped, grated parmesan cheese. Combine ingredients and use with penne pasta. or stuff into manicotti.

Recipe #2
2 cups rutabaga greens
5 radishes, sliced
1/2 yellow onion, rustic chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced
12 oz. dark red kidney beans
1 cup cold water
1/2 cup whole corn kernels
1 stalk celery, sliced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbs. dill wed
1/2 cup sugar

Combine all ingredients and taste. Adjust vinegar or sugar as needed. Refrigerate for two hours.

I hope everyone is having a safe, and wonderful Thanksgiving.:)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I got my rutabagas in late, so they never had enough time to ball up. More like swollen carrots, but they tasted great.

I saw a Robert Irvine show where he cooked up 1/2 rutabegas, 1/2 carrots until soft, mashed with Butter, cream, salt , pepper ( and a touch of sugar if needed)

I basically did a similar version of this, which was great.

I blanched the greens, and gave a quick taste before I froze them, A little sharper than cabbage, but not as sharp as mustard greens.

Thanksgiving was just me, my wife and my daughter (FaceTimed briefly with the rest off the family, and zooming later with my son in China in 1/2 hour,

Larry, I would have tried the rutabaga greens. I like greens in general. I tried some zucchini greens this summer. Not bad, it just depends on how hungry I am.

I made some rutabaga baked 'fries' the other day, cooked slices in water until just tender, sliced into fry shape, sprinkled with smoked paprika, onion and garlic powder, a little salt. They were surprisingly good and although the rutabaga was large, we ate them all. They have a little sweetness to them.

Larry, I would have tried the rutabaga greens. I like greens in general. I tried some zucchini greens this summer. Not bad, it just depends on how hungry I am.

I made some rutabaga baked 'fries' the other day, cooked slices in water until just tender, sliced into fry shape, sprinkled with smoked paprika, onion and garlic powder, a little salt. They were surprisingly good and although the rutabaga was large, we ate them all. They have a little sweetness to them.

Do you grow ( or have you grown) rutabagas?
This was my first year, just needed a little more time ( I think). Will try again next year and see what happens.

I did not grow any this year. I have grown them at times in the past.

I really should have grown them this year considering our golden carrots, another root crop, did quite well, I bet the rutabagas would have done well too. But, just a few, I can't make a big crop of it, they aren't as well liked as other things we grow.

Back
Top Bottom