"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2020, 05:25 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Rutabaga Greens, worth the effort?

Have a bunch of rutabagas growing. They got to a certain point, but never quite bulbed up ( just kinda thickens , like a carrot), but the greens look healthy and plentiful.

Question is, are the greens worth the effort of trying to do something with, or should I just compost or chicken them and save my time and efforts ?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 5.21.49 AM.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	44182  
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
Head Chef

Rutababa greens are good - think turnip greens. I always save the greens from those, as well as kohlrabi, when harvesting them.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Thats what I figured. Thanks. I blanched and plan on freezing them for future use.
Probably should have started them a few weeks earlier, but still managed to get enough to do something with. This was my first year growing them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 2.45.35 PM.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	44189  
Old 11-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Certified/Certifiable

I've never seen rutabagas tat looked like those pictured. I had relatives that grew them every year. They were round, like an oversized turnip, and were kind of beige/yellow on the bottom, and purple on top.

Rutabagas are a cross between a cabbage, and a turnip. They were first grown in Germany, if I recall correctly. So yess, the greens are very edible. You never see the in stores however.

This site shows what I'm used to seeing.

https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/ou...abaga-a-turnip

Rutabaga mashed, with butter, pepper, and brown sugar is spectacular.

I would think that the greens would be a lot like uwing collard greens, or fresh spinach. You could even use it in lasagna.

Here's a recipe:

3 cups Tomato Ragu (not the brand, but real ragu), with 1 lb. coarse ground beef, or with sliced sausage of choice ( Kielbasa, Italian Sausage, Bratwurst, etc.), 1/2 cup rutabaga greens, chopped, grated parmesan cheese. Combine ingredients and use with penne pasta. or stuff into manicotti.

Recipe #2
2 cups rutabaga greens
5 radishes, sliced
1/2 yellow onion, rustic chopped
2 medium carrots, sliced
12 oz. dark red kidney beans
1 cup cold water
1/2 cup whole corn kernels
1 stalk celery, sliced
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbs. dill wed
1/2 cup sugar

Combine all ingredients and taste. Adjust vinegar or sugar as needed. Refrigerate for two hours.

I hope everyone is having a safe, and wonderful Thanksgiving.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:28 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I got my rutabagas in late, so they never had enough time to ball up. More like swollen carrots, but they tasted great.

I saw a Robert Irvine show where he cooked up 1/2 rutabegas, 1/2 carrots until soft, mashed with Butter, cream, salt , pepper ( and a touch of sugar if needed)

I basically did a similar version of this, which was great.

I blanched the greens, and gave a quick taste before I froze them, A little sharper than cabbage, but not as sharp as mustard greens.

Thanksgiving was just me, my wife and my daughter (FaceTimed briefly with the rest off the family, and zooming later with my son in China in 1/2 hour,
Old 11-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Larry, I would have tried the rutabaga greens. I like greens in general. I tried some zucchini greens this summer. Not bad, it just depends on how hungry I am.

I made some rutabaga baked 'fries' the other day, cooked slices in water until just tender, sliced into fry shape, sprinkled with smoked paprika, onion and garlic powder, a little salt. They were surprisingly good and although the rutabaga was large, we ate them all. They have a little sweetness to them.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:58 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Larry, I would have tried the rutabaga greens. I like greens in general. I tried some zucchini greens this summer. Not bad, it just depends on how hungry I am.

I made some rutabaga baked 'fries' the other day, cooked slices in water until just tender, sliced into fry shape, sprinkled with smoked paprika, onion and garlic powder, a little salt. They were surprisingly good and although the rutabaga was large, we ate them all. They have a little sweetness to them.
Do you grow ( or have you grown) rutabagas?
This was my first year, just needed a little more time ( I think). Will try again next year and see what happens.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:04 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I did not grow any this year. I have grown them at times in the past.

I really should have grown them this year considering our golden carrots, another root crop, did quite well, I bet the rutabagas would have done well too. But, just a few, I can't make a big crop of it, they aren't as well liked as other things we grow.

Tags
greens