Savoury Rhubarb suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I got some rhubarb. The bundle of stalks has two red stalks and the rest are green or mostly green. I had planned on making a Danish dessert with the rhubarb. Shouldn't it be red if it's going to be used as fruit? Anyhoo, I would like to try it in a savoury dish. Does anyone have a good recipe for that? Or maybe someone has used it in a stir fry and can give me some tips for using it that way.

I dont know any savory recipes, but I do grow it and know that there are red, green, and somewhere in the middle varieties ( mine are more on the green side).

Your best bet would be to make a sort of chutney with it. Would go great with lamb, pork ?

If you really want red (a lot of the green ones are just as tasty - mine were half pinky-red and green) So I would alway add a drop or two of colouring.

Nobody knows. or did til now! :LOL:

Your best bet would be to make a sort of chutney with it. Would go great with lamb, pork ?

If you really want red (a lot of the green ones are just as tasty - mine were half pinky-red and green) So I would alway add a drop or two of colouring.

Nobody knows. or did til now! :LOL:

But, I'm guessing the green ones were grown together with the red ones. So they would be the same kind. Are they just as sweet, whether they are green or red? Don't the red ones start out green and get red as they mature?

I would know that there was red food colouring in it. I'm not going to start buying food colouring now. :ermm: :D

If I have ever used food colouring, it would have been when making frosting as a kid or teenager.

But, I'm guessing the green ones were grown together with the red ones. So they would be the same kind. Are they just as sweet, whether they are green or red? Don't the red ones start out green and get red as they mature?

I would know that there was red food colouring in it. I'm not going to start buying food colouring now. :ermm: :D

If I have ever used food colouring, it would have been when making frosting as a kid or teenager.
That's a guess - you could be wrong. Why don't you just taste them?

That's a guess - you could be wrong. Why don't you just taste them?
Yeah, that eventually occurred to me. :doh: :LOL:

But, now I have it in my head to make something savoury. :rolleyes: I have found a few Danish recipes for using rhubarb in salads. I also found a Danish one for a not-very-sweet rhubarb compote that is used as a side for savoury dishes. I spent several hours looking at rhubarb recipes and narrowed it down to four that sound like something I would like.

I might try some in a stir fry as a celery substitute.

If you're still looking for a savory recipe for rhubarb, this one caught my eye and I was thinking of trying it, when it's cool enough to turn on the oven -- roast pork loin with rhubarb:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...or-roast-pork-loin-and-white-chocolate-mousse

Thank you. That looks interesting. I have saved the recipe. I have some pork tenderloin in the freezer and I could do a scaled down version of this. There are only the two of us. The work involved in prepping for rolling and rolling a pork tenderloin is a whole lot less. I have done both quite a few times, so I know. I won't use his timing. I'll use my instant read thermometer. I just realized, with a pork tenderloin, I could roast it in my toaster oven. That heats up the kitchen a whole lot less than the big oven.

Are they just as sweet, whether they are green or red? Don't the red ones start out green and get red as they mature?

It is just one plant I'm talking about. Red on the bottom of the stalk and green at the top. The others are maybe more delicious and colourful to look at but I believe they are all the same in taste.

Did you make the pork/rhubarb dish @taxlady?
I'm thinking of thawing out a pork tenderloin and doing it myself, if you think it worked out ok.

Thank you, yes, pork loin and pork tenderloin are very different in size and fat content. As taxlady said earlier in this thread:

"I have some pork tenderloin in the freezer and I could do a scaled down version of this. There are only the two of us. The work involved in prepping for rolling and rolling a pork tenderloin is a whole lot less. I have done both quite a few times, so I know. I won't use his timing. I'll use my instant read thermometer..."

I wondered whether the spicing and rhubarb sauce would work with the tenderloin. I suspect it would work very well.

Did you make the pork/rhubarb dish @taxlady?
I'm thinking of thawing out a pork tenderloin and doing it myself, if you think it worked out ok.

No, I haven't done it yet. I have the rhubarb wrapped in foil in my fridge. I read that it should keep for a good two weeks that way. I'll need a day when I have enough spoons to do it.

Thank you, yes, pork loin and pork tenderloin are very different in size and fat content. As taxlady said earlier in this thread:

"I have some pork tenderloin in the freezer and I could do a scaled down version of this. There are only the two of us. The work involved in prepping for rolling and rolling a pork tenderloin is a whole lot less. I have done both quite a few times, so I know. I won't use his timing. I'll use my instant read thermometer..."

I wondered whether the spicing and rhubarb sauce would work with the tenderloin. I suspect it would work very well.

I can't imagine that it wouldn't work. I will be checking the temperature of that pork tenderloin after about 20 minutes. I don't expect it to be ready by then, but it will let me know how close to done it is and if it happens to be cooking quickly, I'll catch it. I don't want to overcook it and dry it out.

Both of those are fairly lean, but the tenderloin doesn't have nearly as much fat on the outside. I will leave as much of that fat as possible when I'm taking off the silver skin.

taxy, I'd be surprised if you found ANY fat on the tenderloin other than a little tiny nob of it on one end.

Yes, you could butterfly and stuff a tenderloin but that's a lot of work compared to doing a loin - much bigger. Of course I have and it's delish and was worth it. :yum:

Your cook time for tenderloin is minimum as well. When I brown a tenderloin I do 4 sides at about 3 minutes each, wrap in foil and let it rest (usually on the back of the BBQ) while finishing other things up. It comes out perfect everytime.

Many of my oven recipes for tenderloin after the browning are in the oven for only 15 or 20 min. max!

the size of either the tenderloin and loin of course are very subjective to the length of time needed.

Dragn, I have done both - butterflied and rolled a pork tenderloin and cut out a big flat piece from a pork loin and then stuffed and rolled that. It's one of my go-to's for dinner parties. It's a lot more work. I don't know if it is more work per serving, but it's certainly a lot more effort and takes a lot longer, both to prep and to cook. I'm only cooking for two. The leftovers from a rolled pork loin are delicious, but they are hard to reheat. For one thing, the stuffing starts falling out.

Bifana, Rhubarb Chutney

DRAGNLAW's Review at allrecipes
Rating: 5 stars
10/30/2016
I've made this so many times I am now having to reprint it. When I first printed it I had to use both the front and back of the paper you couldn't condense it. Now the paper has gotten so stained greased marked I can't read it anymore. This is amazing on the tenderloin or almost any cut of pork (well maybe not ribs:) ). Not to forget chicken as well. Wonderful on Cream Cheese Brie or an Oka cheese too.

And I still make this.

So I made the rhubarb sauce with spiced pork tenderloin and — yum! Doesn’t look great, but it tastes surprisingly good. The spices and ginger in the tenderloin go very well with the rhubarb, and both go really well with the pork.

I used the recipe I’ll link to below, with a couple of changes. Cooking time and amount of spices were reduced to accommodate the smaller tenderloins.

I butterflied the tenderloins, mixed the spices with melted butter, and tied it back up. It’s important to roast it with the slit-side up, otherwise the butter runs out. I refrigerated the tenderloins before searing to let the butter cool down and also to let the spices marinate a bit. Note that the butter helps make the tenderloin stay moist inside.

The recipe says to use honey in the rhubarb sauce, but I used (real) maple syrup. The rhubarb was incredibly sour, so I added maple syrup bit by bit until it tasted ok.

As you can see in the picture, it doesn’t look amazing, but — it tastes amazing. It quick, easy, and well worth it!

pork rhubarb.jpg

Here’s the original recipe - https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...or-roast-pork-loin-and-white-chocolate-mousse

Back
Top Bottom