Seeded tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swenny

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe that is asking for 1 cup chopped seeded tomatoes. Is this special kind of tomatoes, or do I just take the seeds out? I am a little confused

Regular tomatos with the seeds removed.

If you use fresh tomatos, cut them in half horizontally, (stem on one half and blossom end on the other. Holding a half in the palm of your hand, make a sharp downward motion over the sink while squeezing the tomato. Most of the seeds and gel will come out.

There are lots of different ways to get the job done. Some folks use their fingers to scoop out the seeds.

I would just like to say that last comment made me laugh! Its true some folks will do anything!! I use a teaspoon myself but my dad uses a butter knife as he says its gentler on the tomato!

I usually make concasse.

With a knife, carve an X into the top of each tomato. Drop into a large pot of boiling water for 20sec or so. Immediately remove them to a bowl of ice-water for 30-40sec, then peel the split/separated skins off.

Next I trim the vine end and halve the tomatoes. I pull out the seeds/membranes, and then dice the skinless/seedless flesh into whatever size I want. Takes a while the first couple times you do it, but then it just becomes routine, right down to washing the pot as the tomato skins contract in the cold ice water.

If you use good-quality canned tomatoes (like I do most of the time :) ), just slit them & give a small squeeze. Although to be honest, I find good-quality canned tomatoes to be just as good seeds & all.

To get the seeds out of the tomatoes make sure you cut down through the middle and get them all out. Then proceed to chop them up for your receipe.

I am wondering "seeded" and "seedless"? We have mostly fresh salad and slicing type tomatoes. Not the meaty ones you would use for cooking sauces, soups and stews. During the summer, these are a favorite garden variety. Why can't the supermarkets offer cooking tomatoes? :mad:

just an fyi, there are no such things as seedless tomatoes.

there are some new hybrids that have relatively few seeds, but are not completely seedless.

i cut and squeeze out the seeds and mucilage much like andy described, but i don't get too crazy trying to remove every single bit. a coupla seeds won't be noticed in most dishes.

I'm going to ignore the seedless tomatoes at the grocery store from now on! My quest is to make a taco that stays together. I usually spread refried beans on a soft shell or put a scoop of sour cream in a hard shell then fill it. I think seeding and cleaning the pulp from the tomatoes might be an improvement.

Back
Top Bottom