"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Vegetables
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2021, 12:54 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Seeking Recipe Gratin of Turnips Yams and Potatoes

Hi,

I'm searching for a recipe I made for my husband many years ago and can no longer find.

The sheet of paper I have notes that the name of the recipe is "Gratin of Turnips, yams and potatoes" and notes that the recipe came from a magazine dated Feb 1992 p. 51. I don't know which magazine but it may have been Bon Appetit or Gourmet.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Donna

Wimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:17 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimble View Post
Hi,

I'm searching for a recipe I made for my husband many years ago and can no longer find.

The sheet of paper I have notes that the name of the recipe is "Gratin of Turnips, yams and potatoes" and notes that the recipe came from a magazine dated Feb 1992 p. 51. I don't know which magazine but it may have been Bon Appetit or Gourmet.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Donna

I remember a recipe like that. I had to bring a dish to a potluck, and it needed to have turnips. I found it online, it was so good!

Here are a couple that might have been close to what you're looking for:
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...-gratin-104132
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...-gratin-107656

Thanks for asking about this recipe, it reminded me how good it was.
summer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the recipes, Summer57.
They look similar but don't quite hit the mark so the search continues!
Thanks again.
Donna
Wimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 03:39 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimble View Post
Thanks for the recipes, Summer57.
They look similar but don't quite hit the mark so the search continues!
Thanks again.
Donna
I suggest you go through epicurious.com. They have all the gourmet & bon appetit recipes available online.
summer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:57 PM   #5
Certified/Certifiable

You might have better results looking for Sweet Potatoes, Turnips, and Potatoes. Though sweet potatoes are often called yams, yams are a completely different veggie, more bland, and starchy. A gratin is a layered potato dish where sliced potatoes are placed in a buttered round, casserole dish, starting from the center, and laying them down, slightly overlapping in an ever widening circle to form a layer. The, for your recipe, this would be followed by peeled, round slices of turnip, everything dotted with butter, and seasoned with saly and pepper. Finally, put down a layer of sweet potatoes, again dotting generously with butter and seasoning with salt and pepper, maybe with a touch of ginger. Finally, pour 12 oz. of evaporated milk evenly over the gratin, cover with foil, and bake at 350' F. for 45 minutes, or until tender. Remove foil and lessen sides. Flip onto a searing dish. This would be great with ham, or corned beef.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, potato, potatoes, recipe, turnips

Seeking Recipe Gratin of Turnips Yams and Potatoes Hi, I'm searching for a recipe I made for my husband many years ago and can no longer find. The sheet of paper I have notes that the name of the recipe is "Gratin of Turnips, yams and potatoes" and notes that the recipe came from a magazine dated Feb 1992 p. 51. I don't know which magazine but it may have been Bon Appetit or Gourmet. Thanks for any help you can provide. Donna 3 stars 1 reviews