Sicilian Angry Garlic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
Does any one have any details on the method of preparing angry garlic? i was served a vegetable dish that was called Angry Garlic.....fill in the blank for the vegetable cause I don't remember which dish it was.

The chef said to use a food processor to mince the fresh garlic and put it in a pot of at least one inch of simmering oil. It is called "angry" because it looks like a cauldron of boiling oil. The garlic was basically deep fried bits of garlic. He also said to keep the garlic infused oil for other uses.

I am thinking this may be a way to preserve garlic for long term storage. I grow a lot of garlic and have difficulty keeping it through the winter.

Any one make "angry garlic"??

Sorry Beth I have never heard of it.

LOL. I hadn't either, and neither had my two sisters who are serious foodies.

It was served at the reception dinner for my nephews wedding in California and sis and I were desperately hungry and cruised over to the food prep area to get a grip on when the chow would be ready. We were looking at the chef's menu and asked, what was angry garlic? It was 2/3rds the way down the menu so was probably a vegetable dish. He was very helpful to answer a few questions regarding it, but I was very conscious that he, and two others, were also trying to get out about 15 dishes for 65 folks. He showed us the finished product in a container, looked like dried garlic bits to me. I am interested in trying to make some, as well as using some seriously infused garlic oil.

If you can buy garlic infused oil, and you can, then it can be made at home safely too--but I have no idea how. I would hazard a guess that it would have little or no moisture in it, so no bacteria growth.

If you search out on the web, you can find garlic infused oil, basically garlic in oil at 200 to 350 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, leaving you with carmelized garlic pieces and garlic infused oil. Maybe that is 'angry garlic'?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom