Soaking potatoes overnight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swenny

Assistant Cook
Can I peel and cut up my potatoes for Mashed the day before and just keep them in water?

If you do, do put them in water just to cover and add a TBS of white vinegar. This will prevent them from turning brown.
Before you cook them, dump that water and start with fresh, salted water.

I have done that many times--I don't add any vinegar, just make sure they are totally covered with water--any potato that sticks out into the air will brown. Which won't hurt you--I read that browned potatoes are a higher source of vitamin C. As long as they are not all brown, they won't change the color of your mash, either.

Uncle Bob, I have done it for big family dinners--any thing I can do the day before is a good thing.

Last edited:
I have to cook for up to 70 people and will have no time to prep the day of. If I can peel and cut the potatoes the day before, this will be very helpfull.

I hope you have better luck than I did with that. Mine turned out EXTRA soggy even after draining the boiling water off. I was trying to save time (as I think you are too) but personally, I would never do that again

Can I peel and cut up my potatoes for Mashed the day before and just keep them in water?

I've done this many times, especially during the holidays when time is at a premium. As others have said, make sure the potatoes are completely covered by the water. Otherwise, they will oxidize (turn brown). Best of luck with your undertaking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom