Spaghetti Squash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I have a smallish spaghetti squash (just about the right size for 2 people) sitting on the counter, waiting to be cooked. We had it with just butter, salt, pepper and garlic, as a side dish, at a friends home, and DH liked it. But when I fixed it at home, with spaghetti sauce, he and the grandson (who was living with us at the time,) turned their noses up.
I'm watching my carbs, so now, about 6 years later, I'm going to try it again.

My plan is to nuke it till done (pierce in several places with a knife, and set on a couple layers of paper towels...nuke until it feels slightly soft, about about 6-7 minutes per lb.) After it cools, I'll cut it open, scoop out the seeds, and then pull out the strands of "spaghetti" with a fork. While I'm doing that, I'll cook chopped onion, green and red pepper, and celery in nuke with a little bacon grease. Meanwhile, in a large pasta bowl, I'll toss it with a little olive oil, S&P, garlic, broccoli (left from last night,) canned diced tomatoes with juice, can of drained mushrooms, cooked ground beef from the freezer that says, "calzone filling," cooked onion mixture, and top with cheese. Then it will go in the oven until cheese is melted and bubbly.

I also have some nice fresh grape tomatoes that I need to use...what do y'all think about halving some of them and using as a garnish, or instead of canned ones?

Any suggestion, ideas?

My suggestion would be to half the squash and seed it before you cook it. Place the cut side down on a plate and nuke till done.

My suggestion is not to use it for an entree but rather a side dish.

We find that tossing the cooked spaghetti squash with chopped tomatos (I like grape too!) some fresh oregano or basil and a pat of butter is a HUGE hit. (I had to go do the other half to satisfy everyone.)

I was told by MY picky eaters that the texture is WRONG for any kind of pasta-y sauce. If it is just the veggie its A-OK though.

My suggestion would be to half the squash and seed it before you cook it. Place the cut side down on a plate and nuke till done.

That's the way I did it last time, but I saw this other suggestion, and thought I'd give it a try. Wrong! It blew up in the microwave. DH was nice enough to rescue most of it and clean up the nuke while I picked out the seeds.

It's in the casserole and just needs to be heated up. Will see how it tastes.

Really!? I just got two, it will be my first time with them. The label says about 50 minutes face down at 350 degrees. Will the micro do the same thing?

Yep micro will do the same thing. Micro is perfect for spaghetti squash. It should take about 8-10 minutes.

The dish turned out great. DH had his nose turned up at "squash," and heated up leftovers for himself, taking just a spoonful of the dish. He actually liked it, and went back for more.

We absolutely LOVE spag. squash with pasta sauce, but I really like the casserole idea you have constance and we'll certainly give it a try really soon.

I like it in a frittata, put the cooked squash in the bottom of a pan, (heat pan on stove) with whatever veggies you want (like sauteed onions, peppers, etc), and any meat (diced ham, browned sausage, cooked bacon, etc) and grated cheese. Pour eggs over the top, finish in oven.

Glad I found this! I have one thats waiting to be eaten. My beloved other half wrinkled his nose at it but I am going to cook it, serve it with some steamed zuccini, garlic, S & P and portabello mushroom and rice. If he doesnt want any thats his loss.

I used to hate it when I was "little" now I love it samer with the zucc. I'm going to try roasting the seeds!!! ;)

I really enjoy spaghetti squash with just a little butter and some S&P, it's a little crunchy and fresh and tasty. I find it a little too sweet to have with pasta sauce, unless butter and S&P are considered pasta sauce. We never get enough of it.

Ok, made the microwave spagetti squash today. Served it with a nice spicy curry. Mostly veg, very little chicken. I'm trying to lessen the family meat intake and still have the dishes remain satisfying. It was good!

I did my shopping this morning and came home with a spaghetti squash, a first for me!

The squash is just under two pounds and will be more than I need for a side dish, tossed with butter, garlic and cheese.

I'm wondering if I can freeze the leftovers to use in a frittata with some eggs, cheese etc...

I'm also curious about how others cook and serve spaghetti squash.

Thanks!

We've done a Mexican themed dish from Rick Bayless, fideos with chorizo. An Italian sausage, pepper, onion, marinara, moz and parm cheese "stuffing" where it's mixed, put back in the squash and baked. You could do the same thing, just leave out the moz and top with parm. We've made it just as a side with sauteed onions/garlic and grated parm tossed in. It's a pretty neutral flavor and lends itself to just about anything you want to make.

I've baked it in the oven cut side down in a bit of water, covered, and I've also cooked it in the microwave. Both seemed to work about the same. If I'm going to be heating the oven up anyway, I'll do it in the oven. If not, I usually go for the microwave.

Never tried to freeze it. We usually get dinner out of 1, with leftovers for lunch.

We've done a Mexican themed dish from Rick Bayless, fideos with chorizo. An Italian sausage, pepper, onion, marinara, moz and parm cheese "stuffing" where it's mixed, put back in the squash and baked. You could do the same thing, just leave out the moz and top with parm. We've made it just as a side with sauteed onions/garlic and grated parm tossed in. It's a pretty neutral flavor and lends itself to just about anything you want to make.

I've baked it in the oven cut side down in a bit of water, covered, and I've also cooked it in the microwave. Both seemed to work about the same. If I'm going to be heating the oven up anyway, I'll do it in the oven. If not, I usually go for the microwave.

Never tried to freeze it. We usually get dinner out of 1, with leftovers for lunch.

The Italian stuffed squash sounds perfect! :yum:

I have all of the odds and ends to do an Italian pizza style stuffing for one half.

The other half I will leave plain and use as a breakfast side for a couple of days.

Thanks, B :flowers:

I've never tried to freeze it either, but I would imagine that the texture would suffer a bit.

I love spaghetti squash and like you AB, I'm cooking for one. For that reason I haven't bought one in a couple of years, but I'm inspired now to buy one and eat the leftovers as sides for a couple of days.

I also love it shredded and sautéed with onion, garlic, and topped with parmesan - that's my go-to. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom