Special Stuffed Cabbage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linux

Washing Up
Special Stuffed Cabbage
img_915925_0_8449dfe730c53562af79f056bf5b3239.jpg

Rice and vermicelli is a common combination in Arab and Turkish cooking - it has a lighter texture than rice on its own. Here they're stuffed into cabbage leaves to make a truly comforting dish. Serves 4

Cooking conversion online.

30g unsalted butter
45g vermicelli (not the rice variety)
150g basmati rice
300ml water
Salt and black pepper
1 medium white cabbage
40g toasted pine nuts, chopped
130g ricotta
4 tbsp chopped fresh mint
3 tbsp chopped parsley
2 garlic cloves, crushed
600g chopped peeled tomatoes, fresh or tinned
300ml dry white wine
1 tbsp sugar
Olive oil

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Break the noodles into rough 2cm lengths and add to the pan. Stir as you fry for a minute or two, taking care because they can burn in a second. The moment the noodles start going golden, stir in the rice, water and half a teaspoon of salt, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to its lowest setting, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat, leave to sit for 10 minutes, then remove the lid and allow to cool down a bit.

While the rice is cooking, cut the cabbage in half vertically. Peel off the leaves and blanch in boiling water for six to eight minutes, until semi-soft (you may need to do this in batches). Refresh under cold water, drain, pat dry and set aside.

Heat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4. Add the pine nuts, ricotta, herbs and garlic to the rice, season to taste and stir with a fork. Make a parcel with each cabbage leaf, filling it with a generous amount of the rice mix, or make rolls by placing some rice mix at the base of a rectangular piece of cabbage and rolling up (don't worry that the ends are exposed).

Arrange the cabbage parcels close together in an ovenproof dish - use any cabbage offcuts to fill gaps. Mix the tomatoes, wine, sugar and some seasoning, pour this over the parcels, sprinkle with parsley and drizzle with oil. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until the sauce is thoroughly bubbling. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for five minutes before serving sprinkled with extra parsley.

It was looking so good, until I saw the mint.:LOL: And then there's that wine thing again, another flavor that I just can't handle. If I could substitute broth for the wine, and maybe some oregano or thyme for the mint, It would be perfect. And yes, I know that rosemary, thyme, oregano, and sage are all members of the mint family. But they don't taste like mint.

It frustrates me when I see what I know are culinary gems, and can't eat them because I don't like an ingredient. I really wish I enjoyed mint. It brings such freshness to foods for so many people. But alas, we all can't like everything. For me, mint and alcohol just don't work.:(

That being said, the recipe looks extraordinary, and the picture is very nice.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

It was looking so good, until I saw the mint.:LOL: And then there's that wine thing again, another flavor that I just can't handle. If I could substitute broth for the wine, and maybe some oregano or thyme for the mint, It would be perfect. And yes, I know that rosemary, thyme, oregano, and sage are all members of the mint family. But they don't taste like mint.

It frustrates me when I see what I know are culinary gems, and can't eat them because I don't like an ingredient. I really wish I enjoyed mint. It brings such freshness to foods for so many people. But alas, we all can't like everything. For me, mint and alcohol just don't work.:(

That being said, the recipe looks extraordinary, and the picture is very nice.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom