Stuffed Avocados

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I found a couple of the most beautiful avocados today. I also picked up a pound of frozen wild caught 91/xxx shrimp (cleaned, of course).

One of my favorite dinners is a simple shrimp salad stuffed avocado.

Do you stuff your avocados and if so, with what?:chef:

I found a couple of the most beautiful avocados today. I also picked up a pound of frozen wild caught 91/xxx shrimp (cleaned, of course).

One of my favorite dinners is a simple shrimp salad stuffed avocado.

Do you stuff your avocados and if so, with what?:chef:

I love them stuffed with shrimp salad also. Unfortunately, I've developed an allergy to avocados, so I can't eat them anymore. :(

Last edited:
I am very original, I eat avocados with a spoon, they rarely make it into anything.

I will have to try the shrimp stuffing idea, Z! It sounds wonderful. I make avacado and sprout sandwiches all the time, and make guacamole. I also slice them into my salads and eat them like our Princess does! I will have to think about stuffings. You have opened up a whole new world for me! :)

One of the tastiest appys I've had recently was at a restaurant in Aruba. They served an avocado half filled with crabmeat salad and topped with shrimp. It was delicious.

Actually, I'm going to go get some avocados, if I can find good ones, for Chicken Tortilla Soup tomorrow. There's something about hot avocado!

I would never have thought to stuff avocados. How exactly do you do this? Is it just a matter of removing the pit and stuffing the shrimp salad into the resulting hole? I've stuffed avocados into something else, but never stuffed them. This is something I need to try. It sounds good!

Near and Dear to my heart. The first meal I made for my then-boyfriend (now husband) had stuffed avocado for the first course. I was quite broke then and the avocado and shrimp nearly broke the bank! I think I let the shrimp stand almost along -- just a little olive oil and vinegar. Maybe some green onions. I pitted and very carefully peeled the avocado. The extra $$ for another avocado just wasn't there, but I did it. I also roasted a duck, something I'd never done before. I'd made a red wine marinade and the duck turned a ghastly shade of purple that made me break out in tears! But it tasted good.

I would never have thought to stuff avocados. How exactly do you do this? Is it just a matter of removing the pit and stuffing the shrimp salad into the resulting hole? I've stuffed avocados into something else, but never stuffed them. This is something I need to try. It sounds good!

That's exactly how you stuff it.

The idea came from a lunch my Mom and I had when shopping at Macy's restaurant. We tried it, loved it, adopted the idea. I've been making it for years.

Andy I love the idea of crab too.

In Chile they are very common. Most I saw were stuffed with chicken salad. Here is a pic of one I was served in Chile with shrimp and mayo.

img_1034358_0_37247584f9e8d2602d5717db8ba31e05.jpg

Here is one I made with chicken salad.

img_1034358_1_3f5e57938573944ee36ad2bfc83d429e.jpg

They are really good stuffed with ceviche.

In Mexico, we saw avocados the size of a human head! No wonder guacamole was so cheap!

When I was in London for a class many years ago, we frequently had avocado stuffed with whole prawns, with a very light creamy dressing. Yum!

My favourite way to eat avocado is mashed with salt, black pepper and a bit of lemon. Spread on hot buttered toast. You can also make a chopped crispy salad with a few chopped dill pickles and mayo. Fill the avo halves with this and top with smoked salmon and serve with crusty bread or rye.
A sandwich with crisp bacon, guacamole, salsa and a soft fried egg is great too. Sounds strange but it's great. Made it for a hangover cure one time lol!
I have a sweet avocado pie recipe if you want, different but good!

Gorgeous pictures PP !!

We live in a town that's surrounded by lemon and avocado orchards, and I've stuffed them with all kinds of concoctions too.
For a quick fix, I like to fill the hole with bottled seafood chili sauce, sprinkle on some garlic powder, a squeeze of fresh lemon, then get a spoon and have at it.

Did you know that if you leave the pit in half a cut avocado, it won't turn brown while being stored in the refrigerator? It's the same with serving Guacamole. In addition to using lemon juice, placing the pit in the middle of the Guacamole, will keep it from turning brown. I guess avocado's are stupid, they don't know when they've been cut.

My favourite way to eat avocado is mashed with salt, black pepper and a bit of lemon. Spread on hot buttered toast. You can also make a chopped crispy salad with a few chopped dill pickles and mayo. Fill the avo halves with this and top with smoked salmon and serve with crusty bread or rye.
A sandwich with crisp bacon, guacamole, salsa and a soft fried egg is great too. Sounds strange but it's great. Made it for a hangover cure one time lol!
I have a sweet avocado pie recipe if you want, different but good!

Snip, I tried this at our annual Avocado Festival. I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food, but that particular pie was :sick::yuk::w00t2:

One avocado is ripe so I made the shrimp salad. I'm just watching some TV, reading and waiting for the shrimp salad to get cold.

Back
Top Bottom