Stuffed Onion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The addition of mashed potato makes me think of Irish colcannon.

Colcannon | Williams-Sonoma

I'm thinking of a sausage/cheese variation similar to stuffed mushrooms or a traditional Thanksgiving bread stuffing.

This is one of those ideas that can be adapted to whatever you have on hand for the stuffing or the container.

I say go for it!!!

It is delicious with the potatoes!
I love onions too! I usually buy sweet onions and I cook them in the oven with a pinch of salt pepper and origan. I serve them hot or cold.

May I suggest a variation on the filling - chop the bacon into lardons and fry in a pan till crispy then remove from pan. Peel (or not peel just scrub well) a potato (variety of choice) and cut into small cubes. Fry in bacon fat till golden and tender. Add potatoes and bacon to filling and proceed with recipe.

I like to do the above steps with bacon and potato then add spinach to pan and cover. Steam till spinach is wilted. Makes a wonderful side dish or meatless meal.

These stuffed onions sound wonderful.

Maybe another variation - leave out the potato. Add a splash of lemon and some feta to the stuffing.

WOW now I want this.

Sounds really good. I bet they would be great finished on the grill with a nice rib eye. :yum:

Years ago, when we were young and didn't have to worry about old-people problems, we would enjoy a stuffed onion as our dinner, along with either a good-sized salad or a green veggie. Ever since we talked about them in a previous thread I have been hunting down the recipe I used. I'm not sure this is the one I used from my 1974 issue of "Apartment Living", since I have tossed that one out ever since we got old, but it sure sounds close to what I made. Very yummy. Might we worth trying again, once I stock up on Beano and Tums. :LOL:

Norwegian Stuffed Onions

Back
Top Bottom