Stuffings For Green Bell Peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buonasera,

Good Post and recipes ... Aromatic and lovely fragrances coming from the oven ...

Green and Red Bell Peppers or Green Horn Shaped Italian Peppers, are wonderful stuffed ...

There are so many Family Traditional Italian and Greek Variations, however, I love them all ...

Ground Meat of choice, lamb, beef or pork, with short grain Rice and pinenuts and Zucchini or Tomato or Eggplant & Reggiano Parmesano ...

Greek Long grain rice, dill, lemon zest, oregano, pinenuts, fennel or onion and shrimp ...

Have lovely Sunday,
Ciao, Margi.

Last edited:
Thank you Kadesma for the idea of using cubanelles. I will have to give that a try. I'm really not fond of the bell peppers in that kind of quantity. I enjoy them as an ingredient, chopped finely or julienned, but I really don't like a big piece in my mouth. The cubanelles are thinner fleshed, so they may be just right for me.

My neighbor has brought over a huge bag of Green Peppers. Here's the dish. Hubby has never liked my recipe for them. It was the usual ground beef, cooked rice, onions, seasonings, sauce.
I thought it was kind of boring to :LOL: ...

Munky.

I don't think the recipe is your problem. Rather it is Green Peppers; they are yucky, bitter and simply very un-tasty. Green peppers are nothing more than red or other color peppers that are not ripened yet. Just like any other fruit or veggie they do not taste good Green. I use very similar recipe, and until I started using red peppers I did not like it myself. Try to change peppers.

I don't think the recipe is your problem. Rather it is Green Peppers; they are yucky, bitter and simply very un-tasty. Green peppers are nothing more than red or other color peppers that are not ripened yet. Just like any other fruit or veggie they do not taste good Green. I use very similar recipe, and until I started using red peppers I did not like it myself. Try to change peppers.
We prefer red or at least yellow peppers; but when we are gifted some green, we usually cut most of them up and freeze for use along with red peppers in things like omelots.
The taste of green peppers seems to be improved by frying them.

It was the recipe alright Charlie. My MIL wasn't a very good cook. I was suspicious, and rightly so.REAL mashed potatoes don't come in a box.:LOL:

You guys should have seen the look Hubby gave me when he saw them. Talk about the Deer in the headlight look. I saw fear in his eyes.:ohmy: He asked me " What did you do to them THIS time? Gimme a break. I'm trying here!:ROFLMAO: Anyways once I told him what was in it. He was a sport and tried them. Loved it, he ate them all. Mr perfect didn't even get heartburn from it like I did. My chest still feels like a brick is laying on it.

Munky.

I think the green peppers are fine for stuffed peppers, and I can smell the batch that just came out of the oven... :yum:

Sign me up Dave. Pie! oh my.!

Munky.

I made a stuffed pepper pie one time, I'll see if I can find the exact recipe if you'd like...

Basically you cut the peppers into quarters and steam them to soften them.
Mix the ground beef,rice, onion, basil, oregano, and egg.
Lay the peppers in a pie plate then top with the beef mixture, then tomato sauce then top the whole thing with mashed potatoes and bake.

I cannot for the life of me find that recipe. I'll have to try and recreate it so I can get it down on paper. I made it last summer but I can't find it. Here is what I remember if you want to be adventurous. I don't remember all the amounts or how long to bake it for.

3 green bell peppers
1 lb ground beef
1 cup rice - cooked
1 onion chopped
1 egg
tomato sauce
mashed potatoes (about 2 cups???)
fresh basil and oregano
salt & pepper

Steam or boil the peppers to soften them then cut them into quarters

Lay them cut-side up in a pie plate ( 9" pie plate?) like bike spokes.

Mix the ground beef, rice, onion, egg, basil, oregano, salt & pepper.

Spoon some sauce over the peppers.

Layer on the beef mixture.

Spoon on more sauce.

Top with the mashed potato ( I used a piping bag to put the mashed potato on top)

Dot the top with some butter.

Bake at 350 ( I don't remember how long it took)

Chef Munky said:
It was the recipe alright Charlie. My MIL wasn't a very good cook. I was suspicious, and rightly so.REAL mashed potatoes don't come in a box.:LOL:

You guys should have seen the look Hubby gave me when he saw them. Talk about the Deer in the headlight look. I saw fear in his eyes.:ohmy: He asked me " What did you do to them THIS time? Gimme a break. I'm trying here!:ROFLMAO: Anyways once I told him what was in it. He was a sport and tried them. Loved it, he ate them all. Mr perfect didn't even get heartburn from it like I did. My chest still feels like a brick is laying on it.

Munky.

Munky, peppers are so easy to freeze. Don't even need to blanch them. Cut them up, or halve them, or freeze whole after seeding. No need to put you and DH through torture! With that many, you surely will get sick of stuffed peppers!

I'm going to take the stuffing recipe, add diced green and red peppers and then bake in portion sized ramekins (10-12 0z). Top with tomato sauce (marinara) and serve. I think Shrek and I could handle the peppers then. I also have some chipotle ketchup that would taste good on top.

Hmm. Just some thoughts, I haven't tried these:

Mexican with rice, chorizo, and salsa, maybe some black olives and cheese, top with sour cream

This was my first thought too. I think I might actually try these this week. I would suggest working some cilantro into it as well if you can, give it a nice pop of flavor. Try to very thinly slice some onion and garlic as well, let the cook into the pan before you add the chorizo, it will add a little more depth to the dish.

Good luck!

Grandma's Stuffed Green Peppers

My mother mucked with this recipe. I do not think Grandma ever forgave her. I admit that I use the traditional recipe, but the trick is in the cooking.

Cut the green peppers in halves and seed them. Put them in a glass baking pan. Stuff them with a mixture of very lean ground beef, diced tomato, finely diced onion, cooked rice, raw egg, chili pepper, black pepper, and salt. I only use tomato sauce or paste if the tomatoes are not very tomato-ish...like supermarket tomatoes in the winter. (As for amounts, I wing it, but about 1 medium onion, 2 juicy large tomatoes, 2/3 cup of cooked rice, 1 or 2 teaspoons of chili powder, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of black pepper and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt per pound of ground beef. I add 1 egg regardless.)

Add about 1/2 inch of water to the pan. Cover tightly with foil and bake for sixty minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes more to toast up the tops. To me, they are better the following day. (If the peppers are thick hulled, cook for 90 minutes before uncovering for 30 minutes.) I've used yellow and red peppers too, but I love green ones best....because it is how Grandma made them.

Here is a picture from today's peppers!

Attachments

• Peppers.jpg
    Peppers.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
I think most people put too much rice into the mix and that makes it quite bland. 2/3 cup cooked rice sounds perfect.

Kathleen said:
My mother mucked with this recipe. I do not think Grandma ever forgave her. I admit that I use the traditional recipe, but the trick is in the cooking.

Cut the green peppers in halves and seed them. Put them in a glass baking pan. Stuff them with a mixture of very lean ground beef, diced tomato, finely diced onion, cooked rice, raw egg, chili pepper, black pepper, and salt. I only use tomato sauce or paste if the tomatoes are not very tomato-ish...like supermarket tomatoes in the winter. (As for amounts, I wing it, but about 1 medium onion, 2 juicy large tomatoes, 2/3 cup of cooked rice, 1 or 2 teaspoons of chili powder, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of black pepper and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of salt per pound of ground beef. I add 1 egg regardless.)

Add about 1/2 inch of water to the pan. Cover tightly with foil and bake for sixty minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Uncover and bake for 30 minutes more to toast up the tops. To me, they are better the following day. (If the peppers are thick hulled, cook for 90 minutes before uncovering for 30 minutes.) I've used yellow and red peppers too, but I love green ones best....because it is how Grandma made them.

Here is a picture from today's peppers!

Oh, Yummmm!!!

I cannot for the life of me find that recipe. I'll have to try and recreate it so I can get it down on paper. I made it last summer but I can't find it. Here is what I remember if you want to be adventurous. I don't remember all the amounts or how long to bake it for.

3 green bell peppers
1 lb ground beef
1 cup rice - cooked
1 onion chopped
1 egg
tomato sauce
mashed potatoes (about 2 cups???)
fresh basil and oregano
salt & pepper

Steam or boil the peppers to soften them then cut them into quarters

Lay them cut-side up in a pie plate ( 9" pie plate?) like bike spokes.

Mix the ground beef, rice, onion, egg, basil, oregano, salt & pepper.

Spoon some sauce over the peppers.

Layer on the beef mixture.

Spoon on more sauce.

Top with the mashed potato ( I used a piping bag to put the mashed potato on top)

Dot the top with some butter.

Bake at 350 ( I don't remember how long it took)

Thanks Dave,

You know I can see your recipe working out well with the Pie Maker. With a little tweaking with the ingredients ( pre cooked and mixed with a little sauce) Fill the peppers as you suggested. The peppers would have that nice grilled look to them. I know that mashed potatoes brown nice & even in it. They can be made in half the traditional time without heating up the kitchen.

Munky.

Back
Top Bottom