Stunner of a cabbage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanya

Assistant Cook
I went out to eat a while back and I had some absolutely beautiful cabbage, it tasted kindve like saurkraut? So i'm guessing its either been pickled or sauteed with white wine vinegar or something. Anyways it was delicious does anyone know the name of what i'm describing?

Also is cabbage smelly to cook? I wouldnt mind trying to make it but I dont want to gas my flat mates :LOL:

Why don't you think it was actually sauerkraut?

When cabbage is boiled it releases hydrogen sulphide gas. That gas is the terrible odor you smell. The gas starts to double in strength between five and seven minutes of cooking. So one way to cut down the smell is to boil it under five minutes. The cabbage will soften quicker if you remove leaves from the head and boil them loosely rather than immerse the entire head.

Another thing you can do is to add something to the water while the cabbage is cooking. A whole walnut unshelled, a half of a fresh lemon, or a stalk of celery should do the trick.

Actually youre totally right I think it might have just been red cabbage :S... Im not entirely sure why I thought it wasnt saurkraut if it was cabbage and tasted like it :LOL:

I love cooked red cabbage, done in my crockpot. It is sweeter than green cabbage and the touch of vinegar would give the pickled taste.

Here's a very simple recipe that is worth making:

Red Cabbage

1 head red cabbage
1 onion -- finely chopped
1 dash salt -- to taste

3 tablespoons butter -- add later
2 tablespoons vinegar -- add later

Shred cabbage finely and cook in boiling salted water with the onion until almost tender. Drain.

Add butter and vinegar; stir well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom