Sweet potato fries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
My French fries come out crispy, and light on the outside, and fluffy, and tender inside. however, no matter what I've tried, except using froze, sweet potato fries from the market, my sweet potato fries are greasy, and flabby. I suspect someone here on DC knows the secret to great, home made sweet potato fries.

When I can't figure out how to do something, it drives me crazy. Eventually, i ask for assistance. I give. Uncle. The sweet potatoes are making me look like a rank armature.:LOL: I'm asking for assistance.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hello

Just joined this group. Love looking at all you recipes and photos.

I love sweet potato fries. I think I have a pretty good method. I soak mine in water for a hour or so. ( I know some people don’t find this necessary, but it’s how I have always done my sweet potato fries) rinse and pat dry. Sprinkle with corn starch, then sprinkle with olive oil and salt. I do mine in the oven on parchment paper at 425 for 20 minutes then flip fries and cook another 20 minutes. Just keep a eye on them for the second 20 minutes. Depending on the thickness of your fries they may not take the full 20 minutes.

Never tried frying them, but the corn starch trick might work for frying as well.

Good luck

Peel and cut into the preferred shape (I like cubes). Steam in a basket until tender. Let drain and dry. (For more crunch, you can toss them in a bowl with oil.) Spray a sheet pan with oil and spread the potatoes, then give them a spray of oil (unless they were tossed with oil) and a sprinkle of kosher salt.

Roast at 425°F until browned. Turn if necessary. Serve hot.

WkwkmXx.jpg

I do the initial cooking in a solar oven, which works a treat.

yBSMFM3.jpg

aZgOmrN.jpg

Last edited:
Neither of those methods are sweet potato fries. They are sweet potato bakes.

Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into sticks 1/2-inch square and 5 inches long. Place sticks in a bowl of cold water. Allow them to soak while you preheat oil in a deep fryer to 325F. Drain and dry the sweet potatoes, and deep fry them for 10 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the fryer, drain on paper towels or a paper bag, and allow them to cool to room temperature while you increase the temperature of the deep fryer oil to 375F. Deep fry the sweet potato strips again until crispy.

IMHO

Don't have a deep fryer and don't like greasy food.

Crisp is crisp.

Exactly.

If two completely different methods give the same result - you can call them whatever you want.

How about a recipe for Oven Fried Potatoes but done in a Deep Fryer, are they then not still Oven Fried Potatoes.
French TOAST is not done in a toaster - but people still call it toast.

People give the same name to a recipe even if it is done in some other way. They want people to know that the end result will be basically the same as the title.

Ksm! Welcome to DC! How's cooking in the galley going? :yum:
Thanks!
Love my galley. It has pretty much everything you would find in a household kitchen. I have a regular house oven. I just have to try and buy pans and appliances that have more than one use! Insta pot is a great boat appliance.

Ksm, I once met (on-line) a person who also lived on a boat. She had several pressure cookers that she swore she could not get along without.

I always pre-fry the potatoes first. Just for a few minutes. Then remove to a rack. Allow to cool. Then when ready to eat, back in they go until crispy and golden brown.
I could never accomplish these results with the one fry method. I know i tried for years.
I know someone who par boils the potatoes and allows them to cool before using. I think this is how the manufactures do it. Par boil then fry? Or its fry and then you fry again the second time at home.

But its pretty obvious to me they need to be almost cooked before they are put into the fryer.

Last edited:
Definition of fry: To be cooked in hot fat or oil in a shallow pan or a pot of hot fat or oil (deep frying). You can call it anything you want, but unless you have a quantity of 375F oil in you oven that you are cooking potatoes in, you can not oven fry anything! You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear either!

I lay my bacon out on racks on cookie sheets and place it in a 375F oven for 18 minutes, but I would never claim to be frying it!

Ksm, I once met (on-line) a person who also lived on a boat. She had several pressure cookers that she swore she could not get along without.

I know a lot of boaters are big fans of pressure cookers. I have one, but I rarely use it. About the only thing I use it for is to make stock for soup. My favorite is my grill. I can cook just about anything in a grill and it doesn’t heat up the boat.

Definition of fry: To be cooked in hot fat or oil in a shallow pan or a pot of hot fat or oil (deep frying). You can call it anything you want, but unless you have a quantity of 375F oil in you oven that you are cooking potatoes in, you can not oven fry anything! You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear either!

I lay my bacon out on racks on cookie sheets and place it in a 375F oven for 18 minutes, but I would never claim to be frying it!
Once the bacon fat starts to render, you are indeed cooking the bacon in a shallow pan of hot fat.

Once the bacon fat starts to render, you are indeed cooking the bacon in a shallow pan of hot fat.

I said "...on a rack.." The bacon never touches the rendered fat. After the bacon is cooked, I remove it and the rack and pour the rendered fat into my bacon squeezin's container so I can eventually FRY stuff in it.

51ZBIlHwj9L._AC_UL480_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use a rack. It just dirties another piece of equipment for no benefit. When I pick up the cooked bacon with tongs, the extra fat stays in the pan, just as it would if I fried it in a pan on the stovetop.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom