Sweet Potato sun exposure question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry if I implied it was a scientific fact. I have no idea if it is or not.

I do know for a fact that many a nutritional dietitian, when analyzing a client recommend avoiding certain foods that could possibly cause aggravation.

Many conditions are affected by certain foods. I was merely suggesting that for arthritic flare-ups one might look to their diet to see if it is/was aggravated by something.

It certainly can't hurt and may actually help - common sense works wonders - scientific or not.

Sorry if I implied it was a scientific fact. I have no idea if it is or not.

I do know for a fact that many a nutritional dietitian, when analyzing a client recommend avoiding certain foods that could possibly cause aggravation.

Many conditions are affected by certain foods. I was merely suggesting that for arthritic flare-ups one might look to their diet to see if it is/was aggravated by something.

It certainly can't hurt and may actually help - common sense works wonders - scientific or not.

Your last paragraph sounded pretty definite :) The thing is, nightshade plants are highly nutritious and avoiding them when it's not necessary is not a great solution.

The other thing is that in general people are terrible at tracking symptoms and possible triggers (there are many for arthritis, which is a group of disorders, not a single thing), and they're great at making connections that aren't there. That's why the scientific method was developed - to test hypotheses, change specific variables and record observations meticulously. The conclusions are much more reliable.

Last edited:
Well, if avoiding them helps the situation - stick with it. If it doesn't help then go back to them... = Common sense.

See a Nutritional Dietitian, (who has their certificate) who is trained in this sort of thing... = Common sense.

"Most" foods and/or food groups, do not have a monopoly on certain nutrients, or other goodies that are good for you, they are very likely available in others... = common sense.

and if you don't know which... ask someone who does.. = common sense.

There are many types of arthritis... find out which kind(s) you have... each could or should be treated differently. Each could be, and probably are, affected by different irritants... the more you understand, the better able you will be able to learn to cope... = common sense.

Well, if avoiding them helps the situation - stick with it. If it doesn't help then go back to them... = Common sense.

See a Nutritional Dietitian, (who has their certificate) who is trained in this sort of thing... = Common sense.

"Most" foods and/or food groups, do not have a monopoly on certain nutrients, or other goodies that are good for you, they are very likely available in others... = common sense.

and if you don't know which... ask someone who does.. = common sense.

There are many types of arthritis... find out which kind(s) you have... each could or should be treated differently. Each could be, and probably are, affected by different irritants... the more you understand, the better able you will be able to learn to cope... = common sense.

If only it was that simple :) Looks like you're pretty set in your beliefs, so okay.

Last edited:
and so you GG and thank you. I don't disbelieve science, far from it. I just don't believe in closing my eyes to things that perhaps science has not yet discovered or proven. Just because they haven't doesn't mean it isn't true.

I would never ever suggest someone ignore science in place of old wives tales or research, but not all is hocus pocus... just snake oil and the new found weight loss pill you need to buy every month for $160. :LOL::ROFLMAO:

correlation=causation

Our nutty son loves to point out that "one fact" does not mean "the other". Every once in a while, to make a point, he'll toss up a chart he finds somewhere/anywhere. He has all sorts of "sources" he knows he can rely on for a chuckle. To wit:

NewImage7.png

Last edited:
"Number of people who have died becoming tangled in their bedsheets."

Wonder if any of those were caught in bed with the wrong spouse??

Things that make you go "hmmmm...."

We have baskets woven from palm fronds (made by a friend in the Bahamas). We have 4 - one for potatoes (including sweet), one for onions, a small one for garlic, and one for whatever else (apples, bananas, etc).

The potato basket has a lid, so even if a stray ray of sunshine should find it's way into the corner where they reside, it won't have any effect on the potatoes stored within. They will never be affected by any improper exposure. :angel:
Why are you getting at me? I didn't mix up affect and effect.

The whole sweet potato / cause and effect/ affect thing is all my fault for my not paying attention during 7th grade English.

Attachments

• Sweet potato.jpg
    Sweet potato.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 147
  • sweet potato 2 .jpg
    sweet potato 2 .jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 146
LOL... Larry, I didn't pay attention in 7,8,9,10.... etc... "there's our sign!"

OMG - look at the size of those things!! What else did you grow?

We grew just about everything. This is my second year with sweet potatoes. I don't even like them that much, but there is nothing like not knowing what you're going to get until the end of the seasons when you dig them up ( potatoes, sweet potatoes and peanuts). Last year we had one the size of a bowling pin.

This year we grew: String beans bush & pole ( yellow, purple and green), Large cukes,kirmess, 4 different varieties of onions, garlic, chard, carrots, Okra, romaine lettuce, tomatoes ( 5 or 6 different varieties), peppers ( 3 different varieties, eggplants ( 3 different varieties), zucchinis,cucuzze squash, hubard squash, acorn squash , butternut squash, Peanuts, peas, Herbs ( rosemary, sage, thyme, parsley, lovage,oregano, basil), leeks, shitake mushrooms, Annual fruits and berries ( and nuts) Grapes, strawberries, chestnuts, apples, Rhubarb, kiwis, meyer lemons, kafir lime, kafir lime,

Failures include, but not limited to: Water melon, cantaloup, honeydew, beets

I think thats it.

Not too much property, about 1/2 acre
Most things are in raised beds, the rest I kinda sneak into places on the rest of my property when my wife not looking ( like growing pumpkins in the front yard next to the driveway).

The raised beds force me to be organized and efficient. Everything has its exact place to grow. So Im able to grow a decent amount, in a restricted area.

I wish I had a farm, or at least more land to work with.

Sweet potatoes are of the same family as yams. They are not part of the nightshade family of plants, like nightshade, Belladonna, tomatoes, and potatoes. When potatoes are exposed to sun, they undergo a chemical metamorphosis that begins the sprouting sequence in the spud. The green color comes from chlorophyll, and converts sunlight into usable energy for the plant to use (not poisonous). But thought the clorophyll isn't poisonous, the sprouts create the poison - solanine, found in all members of the nightshade family, but not always in the edible plan parts. It is especially concentrated in the potato sprouts.

Sweet potatoes do not contain any in them at any stage of there life cycle.

Bob Flowers

Back
Top Bottom