Sweet Potato sun exposure question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
As we know, when regular potatoes are exposed to sunlight, they can turn green.

My question is, will the sun have the same affect ( effect, I still never get these straight) on sweet potatoes ?

Larry

It looks like sweet potatoes do not turn green in the sun, but harvested sweet potatoes do need to be cured before being stored in a dark place. I think exposing them to sunlight would encourage sprouting and shorten their shelf life, but they won't become dangerous to eat.

Here's more info: http://piedmontmastergardeners.org/article/sweet-potatoes/

P.S. You could think of cause and effect:

Use affect when talking about the influence, the cause.

Use effect when talking about the consequence, the result.

Last edited:
from sweet potato to word semantics (because I can't think of the proper word)
a typical thread on DC!

I always have a hard time remembering as well. If I take the time to talk it out I 'usually' get the right one, but never know why! :LOL:

Thanks GG, but will I remember?

from sweet potato to word semantics (because I can't think of the proper word)
a typical thread on DC!

I always have a hard time remembering as well. If I take the time to talk it out I 'usually' get the right one, but never know why! :LOL:

Thanks GG, but will I remember?

No idea. Keep trying different solutions and maybe one will stick :)

I do not touch the things myself, especially if they've been anywhere near marshmallows and brown sugar.

What I have understood the sweet potato isnt a close relative to real potatoes and does not contain solanine, that is that turn potatoes green and poisonous .

Good Golly Got Garlic!!!
Those look scrumpdillisious! And the best part ? Freezing instructions!

Make the full recipe and freeze in individual packages, what more could an empty nester ask for!

Potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) are in the Solanaceae family, related to tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant along with deadly nightshade. ...

Sweet potatoes (Ipomoea batatas) are in the Convolvulaceae family with flowering morning glory vines.

So not related.

I leave my sweet potatoes out on the work top as they seem to loose flavour in the 'fridge and they don't go greem.

Potatoes (Solanum tuberosum) are in the Solanaceae family, related to tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant along with deadly nightshade. ...

Sweet potatoes (Ipomoea batatas) are in the Convolvulaceae family with flowering morning glory vines.

So not related.

I leave my sweet potatoes out on the work top as they seem to loose flavour in the 'fridge and they don't go greem.

We have baskets woven from palm fronds (made by a friend in the Bahamas). We have 4 - one for potatoes (including sweet), one for onions, a small one for garlic, and one for whatever else (apples, bananas, etc).

The potato basket has a lid, so even if a stray ray of sunshine should find it's way into the corner where they reside, it won't have any effect on the potatoes stored within. They will never be affected by any improper exposure. :angel:

Another side note... deadly nightshade family can aggravate inflammation. If you have arthritis and one day wonder why it is suddenly acting worse, think about what you have been eating in the last couple of days...

I don't eat alot of potatoes but sometimes I will have them two or three days in a row. Hello painful gout and arthritis!

There are many other food irritants to inflammation but most people don't realize how big a family the deadly nightshade is and what it can do...

Another side note... deadly nightshade family can aggravate inflammation. If you have arthritis and one day wonder why it is suddenly acting worse, think about what you have been eating in the last couple of days...

I don't eat alot of potatoes but sometimes I will have them two or three days in a row. Hello painful gout and arthritis!

There are many other food irritants to inflammation but most people don't realize how big a family the deadly nightshade is and what it can do...

There is no evidence of that theory.

http://www.arthritis.org/living-wit...et/anti-inflammatory/food-myths-arthritis.php

In Sweden they have found out if you stupid enough to eat green potatoes or just remove the green part and eat the rest, you can tummy ache and feel like you have inflammation in the body.

Back
Top Bottom