Sweet Potatoes, New Info to Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright, we are all friends here correct? You will forgive me for doing some savage unmentionable things with good food?

I'm going to share with you a sweet potato recipe that is perhaps unorthodox. It is a camping recipe, and as I have said, sweet potatoes are good on the calorie/weight ratio.

So we start with a half pound of sweet potatoes, peel them, cut them into disks.

Here is where we get dicey. Make a marinade of 1 cup cider vinegar, three cloves garlic diced, some salt, pepper and oregano.

just because squeeze a lemon into this mess.

leave the disks in this overnight, then wrap them tightly in tin foil if at home, 30 minutes at 350 in the oven. If in the field, throw them in the fire.

To make it formal, ingredient list:

1/2 pound sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and cut into disks
1 cup cider vinegar
3-4 cloves garlic, diced
salt to taste
pepper to taste
1 tsp oregano
One lemon

This requires GOOD tin foil, Reynolds heavy duty, not the off brand from the dollar store.

TBS

I love them thick sliced, tossed with a little olive oil and cinnamon, and high heat roasted. :yum:

Attachments

• roasted cinnamon sweet potato wedges.jpg
    roasted cinnamon sweet potato wedges.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
I love sweet potatoes. With a big pat of butter and salt. But being diabetic, I only eat a half one or a very small one. I am very aware of the high sugar content.

For me, just baked and then seasoned with butter, salt and pepper. Although I could do with some weight watching, I still have one occasionally.

Carbs eaten with a fat of some sort also slows the sugar spikes. It was explained to me that the fat encases the sugar which then is slowly released into the bloodstream.

Sweet potatoes, plain, for me, are slightly better than Brussels sprouts, which I don't consider a food, just an an annoying side dish that's inedible. Sweet potatoes with marshmallows are no longer food. They're just icky.
I'm 98% with you here. I just happen to like Brussels sprouts. At least now people don't get insulted that I don't like sweet potatoes. I'm not supposed to eat them because they are estrogenic. Such a terrible loss, not.

Back
Top Bottom