Tamales

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickell

Senior Cook
Does anyone have any ideas for vegi tamales.

I need to make some for my husband's aunts, they do not
eat meat, or seafood.

Need help with recipes
not finding anything in google that looks to good

Perhaps tofu or zuchini/squash? I'm not real sure what veggies would go well in a tamale... or maybe it's possible to do them more like enchiladas with simply cheese and onions inside. That could be tasty.

I'd try a mixture of zuchini, corn, tomato sauce, cumin and other spices. I make the pinto bean tamales often and they are delicious. You can even add some cheese in the bean mixture and drizzle with a hot sauce over the tamales...you'll have authentic Mexican food.

You can use TVP to add texture to the tamale in place of ground meat. There are also tamales that are made with fruits, such as raisins or dates. Do a quick Google search and you will find more recipes than you know what to do with.

When using TVP (textured vegetable protien), place it into a flavored liquid such as a veggie stock with herbs and spices. As the water reconstitutes the TVP into moist granules, it will also carry the flavors. Then make your chile or tamale sauce, add refried beans (made without lard) as a thickener, and roll your tamales. Steam them as usual. I'd be willing to bet that many who ate your tamales would think the TVP was ground beef, while you would let them know that your tamales are meat and fat free.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom