Tater Tots Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was wondering about deep frying tater tots from their frozen state. I'm concerned ab out how the frozen TTs will react with the oil.

After reading some posts here. I'd do it. Just be careful of the ice crystals and temp. We like fried food. In moderation. As Rock pointed out some frozen items have changed so much that your forced to bake them. Take the risk of a chalk taste or paste. That's gross. I'd rather have a decent crispy like fried as intended over baking any day.

Back on topic. Here's another idea. It's a definite TNT. Love tater tots wedges dunked in country gravy with a nice side of fresh ground breakfast patties for breakfast. Quick easy and to the point.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/waffle-this-93594.html

I have a question for all of those who deep fry.
I never have done it although I enjoy the occasional deep fried foods when eating out, but I don't want to deal with it at home. I have a very good outside exhaust fan over my stove, but I'm sure that's a problem if you don't.

When you deep fry foods, what do you do with the oil when you're done? Do you use it over and over even after cooking different foods? If so, how do you store it? Assuming home cooks don't deep fry every day, like a restaurant, there must be some tricks besides using an expensive new pot of oil every time you deep fry.

They do make home fryers in different sizes to suit a persons needs.
I use mine without using a fan without having any issues.

If you were to buy one, look for one that had a pour spout that will separate the gunk from the oil. The strained oil can be reused. I don't go past 2. Keep it in a dark cabinet. Mark it with a sharpie indicating what you cooked in it. Ummm, chicken and fish don't mix.

Don't ask how I found that out. LOL!!!:ohmy::LOL:

I had a nice Europro fryer. It died and I switched to a pot with oil and a thermometer in it. Much easier to use and clean. Never going back.

I never have done it although I enjoy the occasional deep fried foods when eating out, but I don't want to deal with it at home. I have a very good outside exhaust fan over my stove, but I'm sure that's a problem if you don't.

When you deep fry foods, what do you do with the oil when you're done? Do you use it over and over even after cooking different foods? If so, how do you store it? Assuming home cooks don't deep fry every day, like a restaurant, there must be some tricks besides using an expensive new pot of oil every time you deep fry.

I deep fry a bit but when finished I strain through cheese clothe back into the container.

...When you deep fry foods, what do you do with the oil when you're done? Do you use it over and over even after cooking different foods? If so, how do you store it? Assuming home cooks don't deep fry every day, like a restaurant, there must be some tricks besides using an expensive new pot of oil every time you deep fry.

If you're frying veggies, either battered or not, the oil can be reused several times (french fries, onion rings, etc.). If you're frying fish, you find the oil has a fishy flavor.

I had a nice Europro fryer. It died and I switched to a pot with oil and a thermometer in it. Much easier to use and clean. Never going back.

I have had a Fry Daddy for than eight years. And it has been sitting on the shelf for all that time. I have used it about twice. My granddaughter has used it more than me. :angel:

I deep fry all kinds of frozen potatoes, including tater tots. I put them on paper towels while I am heating the oil to 360F. Then I put them into the basket, close the lid, and lower them slowly into the oil. Once it stops sputtering I open the lid and wait for the tots to float. Then I remove the basket, dump them back on the paper towels and salt them while still hot.

If you're frying veggies, either battered or not, the oil can be reused several times (french fries, onion rings, etc.). If you're frying fish, you find the oil has a fishy flavor.

I assume then that oil for fish has to be used for only fish? That could explain why the one and only time I ate alligator in NOLA I thought it tasted like fish. Other people seem to think it tastes like chicken. :rolleyes:
Chicken and veggies can share the same saved oil ?

Back when I was single I had a Fry Daddy - perfect for a couple of helpings of fries or breaded shrimp. I used Crisco so it set up solid between uses. It ended up at my parent's house at some point, and didn't surface when we were cleaning out Mom's kitchen after she passed. No idea what ever happened to it.

Now I don't deep fry very much, so when I do it's like Andy, just a pot on the stove and my probe thermometer. I think that the only thing I've deep fried in the last 10 years is battered cod for fish and chips, and I usually do the fries in the oven to make the timing work better. I like some of the seasoned fries that seem to do okay in the oven.

By the way - all the talk about tater tots meant that my wife and I had to stop at Sonic for lunch today while we were in town. :LOL:

Last edited:

That makes perfect sense to me Andy. Besides, the last thing I want or need is yet another "appliance" to fuss with or clean or find somewhere to store.

I'm inspired with the oil info from everyone so I just may give it a try. Thank you.
I adore deep fried fish but not chips, although I'd sure give tater tots a shot!

Last edited:
We have a Waring Pro Deep Fryer. The whole thing comes apart and there's a tiny pour spot in 1 corner of the oil container. We hardly use it though. About the only time we use it is once in a blue moon when we have something like an indulgent appy meal with potato skins, wings, fried mushrooms, fried shrimp, tempura meal, etc, etc. You get the point, a nothing but fried meal. By the time we're done with frying everything for the meal the oil is toast and gets thrown away. BTW, if you make a meal like that, you start with the most neutral flavor/smell food and progress to strongest/smelliest.

On the rare occasions we used to fry just potatoes in it, we'd strain the oil, put it back in the bottle since it takes a whole big bottle to fill it, and refrigerate until we used it again.

DC keeps freezing on me so I'm having trouble editing/adding to my previous post.

Now, I do what Andy does and use a pot on the stove top, though mostly I don't use a thermometer because I've learned over time the settings on the stove to get the temps I want.

Never deep fried before?
The Fry Daddy comes with a plastic lid. Once the oil is cool, you can put the lid on it until you need it again. My MIL used to put hers in the fridge.
I use the oil several times, depending on the food fried in it.
Foods dredged in flour, then dropped into the fryer are the worst enemy of a Fry Daddy as the excess flour settles to the bottom.
The only bad thing about a Fry Daddy is there is no basket and when you drop food into it, the food goes directly to the bottom before floating back to the top.
So, no. You don't use new oil each time. In fact, I'm certain I have fried more than 10 times with one oil. I may have to add some though to keep the level. And it sits on the stove top ready.

I actually I have two Fry Daddy's. One clean in the cabinet always at the ready.

I assume then that oil for fish has to be used for only fish? That could explain why the one and only time I ate alligator in NOLA I thought it tasted like fish. Other people seem to think it tastes like chicken. :rolleyes:
Chicken and veggies can share the same saved oil ?

Its really up to you. I have used the same oil after frying fish for another food and not noticed anything. I have never had anyone say that the food tasted like anything but the food I was serving.
I'm certain someone with good taste buds may notice. Buts that's not going to happen around here.

That makes perfect sense to me Andy. Besides, the last thing I want or need is yet another "appliance" to fuss with or clean or find somewhere to store.
I'm inspired with the oil info from everyone so I just may give it a try. Thank you.
I adore deep fried fish but not chips, although I'd sure give tater tots a shot!

If the occasional draining of used oil, and cleaning the vessel, then adding new oil is a fuss, then by all means continue to bake. The Fry Daddy can be washed in the sink. You cannot submerse it though.
It would seem you would not miss frying at home if you have never done it before.
I can tell you this though. We use ours a lot and we love deep fried foods.

One more thing about fryers in general. A fryer with basket is the best type as it keeps the food off the bottom of the fryer. This allows you to go even longer without changing the oil.
But the basket type is by far the biggest of the fryers and takes up the most room. I also have no use a for a lid when it comes to deep frying and would not consider one that had a lid. I have one somewhere around here gathering dust. Its to big, and requires to much oil.
A Fry Daddy takes up about as much space as a 3 quart saucepan and uses little oil.

And 99 percent of the time when I do clean my FD, its due to what has settled to the bottom. Not the condition of the oil.
I still reuse the oil in many cases after cleaning out the vessel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional info RB. I've been cooking for over 50 years, but no, I've never deep fried anything. It's likely because my parents didn't either. It's always interesting how important specific cooking methods can be for some, but not for others. ;):chef:

Thanks for the additional info RB. I've been cooking for over 50 years, but no, I've never deep fried anything. It's likely because my parents didn't either. It's always interesting how important specific cooking methods can be for some, but not for others. ;):chef:

True enough. But worth a try if your up for it.
You don't need a fryer. Like Andy said, a heavy deep sauce pan filled half or less with oil will work just as well.
Even with my convection oven, it cannot reproduce what my fryer can.

Just remember, deep frying means the food is completely submersed in the oil. I can deep fry tater-tots in my 11 inch Lodge Cast iron, or in my 8 inch Griswold pan, or in a SS saucepan. Larger pieces of food of course, require a deeper reservoir of oil and then I use my dutch oven, or my very large flat-bottomed Atlas wok to do the job. You can save on the amount of oil you use by choosing a pan sufficient to hold enough oil to submerse the food, and allow for the bubbling reaction that occurs, especially when frozen food, which may contain ice crystals. When water hits hot oil, in causes the oil to boil rapidly, and spit, which if the pan sides aren't high enough to contain the bubbles, the oil can overflow the pan and ignite. If you make sure the pan sides are high enough, you will have no problems.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I deep fried some tots for part of tonight's dinner. They came out great. Crispy on the outside and just right on the inside.

It's worth doing. So much better than oven baked.

Kayelle, you had a question about what to do with the used oil. I use the leftover oil to drizzle over newspaper grade flyers that have been crunched and place under the charcoal holder on my Webber Charcoal grill. The oil causes the paper to burn long enough to really get the charcoal well lit. This is much, much faster than using a chimney, and gives me a way to get rid of the used oil.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom