Tattooed Sweet Potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
You will have an imprint of the herb on the potato - like a tattoo.

Tattooed Sweet Potatoes
Serves 4 to 6

1/3 - 1/2 cup evoo
salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
6 fresh rosemary sprigs or Italian flat leaf parsley leaves
3 sweet potatoes, unpeeled, cut in half lengthwise

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Pour the olive oil into a medium-sized glass baking dish and add the salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Press a rosemary sprig or parsley leaf on the cut side of each potato half and place cut side down in the oil.

Bake until the potatoes are nicely browned, 40 to 45 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, using a spatula, gently move them every now and then to keep them from sticking.

When they are ready, remove them from the pan, turning them flat side up and carefully leaving the pressed herb in place. Arrange on a platter and serve immediately.

A glass dish works well because you can check for doneness by carefully holding the dish overhead and looking to see if the potatoes are browned. Be careful not to spill the hot oil.

Yeah.. the hot oil would hurt a little bit.

Mish.. do you think this would work with reg. potatoes?
I can't get my family to eat sweet potatoes but I really want to
impress them with the prettiness of these.

pdswife said:
Yeah.. the hot oil would hurt a little bit.

Mish.. do you think this would work with reg. potatoes?
I can't get my family to eat sweet potatoes but I really want to
impress them with the prettiness of these.

Absolutely, pds. It is a lovely presentation and a nice departure from the same old potato. I hope you will give it a try.

I am going to try it Mish. I love potatoes and way but mashed.
I just can't decide if I want to use Rosemary or parsley. : )!!

Pds, now that you mention it, I don't see why you couldn't use rosemary on some and flat Italian leaf parsley on others. Just be careful when you lift the glass pan, not to spill any hot oil when you check on them.

Here's a peek at what they look like.

Last edited:
I'm pretty lucky Mish. I have a double oven. I'll use the top one to make these and just pull the tray out and then kneel down to look at the bottom of the potatoes. No need to lift it above my head.

Using both would make a prettier presentation ...don't ya think?

Sounds great, pds. Now I'm thinking try some red potatoes...yum yum --maybe sprinkle with parm?

Parm never hurt anything. lol.

I was thinking about adding a little to the spinach balls you just posted too.
Cheese it's a good thing.

opps... I just went back and looked at the spinach balls again... they
already have parm. in them. I didn't read the recipe very well the first time....

Last edited:
Gorgeous recipe Mish! I just adore sweet potatoes, yet it seems (like pdswife's family) that not nearly as many people like them as much as they do regular old spuds. I've made a similar recipe, where you impress a herb leaf into homemade potato chips (saw Martha Stewart do it years ago), but never with half a potato. I like that idea, and will certainly be trying it soon! Thanks for posting this cool recipe, Mish :)

Back
Top Bottom