Thanksgiving Carrots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hipgrncln

Assistant Cook
Saw a recipe for a maple glazed carrot side dish in either G or B/A having to do with a Thanksgivings day meal and for the life of me cannot find it . Anyone have any ideas of where I saw it or have one of there own they would like to share???

Bob J

I have made the steamed whole baby carrots adding a touch of honey, butter and tarragon and also some artichoke hearts. Makes a nice "dressy" side dish.

Hipgrncln said:
Saw a recipe for a maple glazed carrot side dish in either G or B/A having to do with a Thanksgivings day meal and for the life of me cannot find it . Anyone have any ideas of where I saw it or have one of there own they would like to share???

Bob J

I suggest you poach your carrots in salted water, drain, save a little of the poaching water and dissolve two tablespoons of Maple syrup in it. Add a generous knob of unsalted butter, and pour the whole thing over the carrots just before serving.

Prepare your carrots into bite sized pieces and place them in a single layer in a saute pan. Add some brown sugar, butter, salt and pepper and enough water to come about a quarter of the way up the carrots.

Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer until about half cooked, remove the lid and continue to simmer until the water is gone and a syrup of the sugar and butter remains. Re-cover the pan and shake back and forth to coat the carrots with the glaze.

Andy - that sounds something even I could do! I'm going to give it a try for Christmas! Also -- Hipgrncln I saw a reciepe for maple glazed carrots on food network website.

I like Clive's version. Expatgirl has a good suggestion as well with the o.j. and brown sugar rather than maple syrup.

We've always called them copper penny carrots. I might add some maple extract to a batch (about 1/2 tsp). I recently realized that some of these extracts like vanilla also add sweetness as well as flavor. They say that salt is added to corn syrup to make it sweet. Have not tested that...actually saw it on Jeporady one day.

Back
Top Bottom