The First Fiddleheads!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loprraine

Executive Chef
Back at my Mom's in Quebec, we'd pick them outselves. Here, I have to rely on the grocery stores. I bought the first ones of the season on Sunday. Steamed with a bit of butter, S&P, they were fabulous. Does anyone else cook them?

I've heard about them several times here, so now i'm going to go and bug my produce guy to get me some...So, if and when I get some, I steam them and then serve with some butter,salt and pepper?

kadesma

Better get them, fast, too....They'll be gone before you know it.

They are wonderful tossed with rigatoni, olive oil, pignoli nuts, dried cranberries and topped with toasted breadcrumbs.

I only get them for about 2-3 weeks. The pasta sounds great, thanks. I also like them lightly sauteed in butter. Or tossed with a bit of sauteed onion and bacon and a bit of cider vinegar. Or blanched and used in salads.

Welcome to the World of Fiddleheads, GB!:)

Years ago, while in St. Thomas, we ate in a restaurant in the middle of the dense jungle called "The Fiddlehead Inn". It was January at the time and don't remember seeing them on the menu. But now I see they are not native to this region. So I don't know why the name, unless owners were from your neck of the woods.
Interesting QSis.

I'd send you some, Middie, but I ate them all! :LOL:

You do have to be careful picking them. There is another fern that looks similar, but is quite fuzzy, and not edible. I picked 2 buckets of them once.

Back
Top Bottom