The 'Other' Vegetables

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carrots and parsnips work well in stews since they can handle being slow-cooked for a while. Also, they are good with meats or poultry, or with potatoes. One of the things I make, is shredded potatoes mixed with shredded carrots and parsnips, mixed with eggs and flour, formed into little burger-like patties and pan-fried with lots of oil.

Parnsips have a strong, distinct flavour so don't use too much or it can be over-powering. Carrots aren't as over-powering. Just as a neat little tip/fact/whatever you call it, don't eat too much carrots. Why? Well, I'm not 100% sure if this is a myth or fact but a woman once killed her husband by feeding him loads of carrots for a while. I'm sure he had great eyesight though, haha.

Add roasted radishes to the oven roasted veggie list, they are great cooked too. ~Bliss

Ooh, I love parsnips! Here's one of my favorite recipes:

1 lb pork or beef stew meat (it's way better with pork)
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves minced garlic (I like to use 4 or 5 though)
1 tsp paprika
3 c water
2 or 3 parsnips, sliced in rounds
1/2 lb winter squashed, peeled and cut into 1/2 in squares (I like acorn squash in it best)
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch squares
1 can whole kernal corn, undrained (8 oz)
4 tsp beef bouillon granules
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups fresh spinach

In a large skillet brown half of the meat in hot oil. Drain meat and place in a 4 qt slow-cooker. Brown remaining meat with onion, garlic, and paprika. Drain and place in slow cooker. Add water, parsnips, squash, sweet potato, corn, bouillon, salt, and cayenne pepper and stir mixture. Cover and cook on low heat for 10-1 hrs or on high setting for 5-5 1/2 hours. Add spinach and stir until slightly wilted.

Back
Top Bottom