The Perfect Baked Potato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy, I am with you--I like fluffy baked potatoes with crisp skin, so no foil, no oil. Just wash some big Russets, poke a couple holes in them, into the oven.

Sometimes, if I am in a hurry, I will put them in the microwave while I preheat the oven.
Try adding a little oil next time sparrowgrass. It helps get you that crisp skin.

I agree that wrapping a potato in foil causes it to steam rather than bake. I don't rub them with anything, just scrub, and put into my toaster oven at 400 degrees for 1 hour, depending of course on the size of the potato. I like my skins to be very crunchy and the inside to be very soft. Had one last night and it was fabulous. Some butter, some sour cream,kosher salt and chopped chives, real chives not scallion tops and it was sheer heaven.

I could scream when I see my friends and family scoop out the inside and leave that terrific skin behind. :(

I use butter and salt on the out side then bake at 350 for 1 or so..
Like KE I like my baked potatoes overly done so... some times I turn up the heat.

Love the idea of the nail GB. Somewhere we have an aluminum gizmo on which one can impale up to 4 taters on spikes and guess that works on the same principle as the nail.

Don't remember what it cost but it had to be more than a 10d nail. And I have no idea where it is, but we have plenty of nails.

Find many people undercook the taters for our taste, so we let them go longer. But no foil (unless there is an open fire). Just a few pricks with a fork.

Sounds great right now but we are going for pizza.

I remember years ago buying aluminium nails (in the kitchen department) to push into potatoes for quicker baking.

Years ago my parents had one of those gizmos auntdot. I remember the skewers were flat, about 1/2" wide on theirs. I didn't realize at the time it was to cook the insides more quickly.

Yep pecanis, wish I could find it but have so much junk about here.

But the nail sounds good to me.

Actually a fourteen penny nail seems about right for the size of taters I bake.

But this could become a question of dispute.

GB has opened the door and needs to tell us about the nail.

Sorry GB, just having fu on a Friday night. Thank you for the idea.

I love a potato no matter how it's fixed, but when it comes to baked, the ones with the crispy skins and very soft insides are my favorite.

I wrap mine in tin foil because I'd rather eat a softer skin. I love baked potatoes. And they're about the easiest side dish to make too.

I'm a big fan of rubbing it with butter or oil and seasoning the outside with s & p, but done on the grill is my favorite. I like a skin you need to cut with a knife and I like grill marks. Roll it on the counter to help soften the insides before cutting it.
I was taught that you had to piece the potato a few times to release pressure from the inside of the potato.

My main goal when cooking a whole baked potato is to have a nice, thick crust. My results are not consistent, and it is important to me. I love to butter up and skin and load it with pepper for total consumption.

Any secrets anyone want to share that will ensure a nice, thick crust?

I remember years ago buying aluminium nails (in the kitchen department) to push into potatoes for quicker baking.

Yep, and they still make and sell them. I was so surprised when I saw them. The very first time I bought "baking potato nails" was in about 1974 or so, which is so very hard to believe I bought those when I was what, 6 months old? :-p:-p:-p

I think that's been addressed in some of the earlier posts.
Not really. I am focusing on a thick, crisp skin. I rub with butter, not oil. That gives a nice flavor to the skin - which I eat! Most of the mid part gets mashed with lots of butter and pepper (plus tabasco). I leave a little potato on the skin for eating, again with lots of butter and pepper.

I sometimes actually baste the potatoes at 20 minute increments. This gets a nice skin, but I was hoping someone had "the secret" out there to thick, crisp skins.

I sometimes actually baste the potatoes at 20 minute increments. This gets a nice skin, but I was hoping someone had "the secret" out there to thick, crisp skins.

I would think basting would keep the skin soft, but at any rate, the kind of potato you buy is important to how it comes out baked. I use russets for everything because they bake well and get a nice skin, as opposed to yukon golds, new or another type of spud.
And the longer you cook it, the thicker the skin.

I would think basting would keep the skin soft, but at any rate, the kind of potato you buy is important to how it comes out baked. I use russets for everything because they bake well and get a nice skin, as opposed to yukon golds, new or another type of spud.
And the longer you cook it, the thicker the skin.
You are absolutely right: good-ole Russets are the best spuds going!

My basting technique actually makes the skin dark, crisp and tasty. Maybe my problem is the potato when the skin is not also thick. We are still in Panama for the winter, and the potatoes here are locally grown. No Russets cross the border of Panama.

Thanks for your input.:)

Hi Mittshel
I prefer baking potatoes in the pressure -cooker for about 2-3 minutes.
Or otherwise I cut them into small pieces and cook in a pan adding some oil & water.

IMO this gives you steamed, not baked potato. A baked potato should be done in a dry heat environment such as an oven, with no added moisture. Baking, by definition, is a dry heat method of cooking.

Maybe, but the ones out of the electric roaster are fantastic!!

Now I also enjoy rubbing the skin with butter and salting it with course sea salt and bake... wonderful stuff..with a crispy salted skin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom