The Perfect Baked Potato

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Id have to agree with Andy M! I microwave them for afew minutes depending on the size and then put them in the oven!

yep, it certainly does help it do it that way
I tried something else someone suggested: simply cooking the spuds longer. It worked! The bottom of the potatoes really flatened and got real dark and crispy. So thanks to whoever it was that gave me the tip.:chef:

I also use this same technique. And when I BBQ, I put salt and pepper and rosemary on them with garlic butter, package in foil, and put on the grill, mmmm...

Another way to speed up baking potatoes is to microwave them for about 3 minutes each then bake them. I use a 400F oven. Be sure to poke some holes in the potatoes with a knife or fork before microwaving.

Check this out "The perfect baked potato has crisp golden skin on the outside and is pure white and fluffy on the inside."
Source: http : // whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/PotatoBaking.htm

Ill definitly have to try putting garlic and rosemary on my potatos next time! I had one for dinner last night so ill just have to wait until next time!!!
Thanks for the tip
:)

Gently scrub the dirt off, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake. That's about it! It comes out nicer in a convection oven IMO.
Here in Panama we don't have that nice, thick skin Russett potato. Darn. No dark, crispy, crunchy potato skins for us. Your method is right, Rob.

I remember on the old Food Network show, Taste with David Rosengarten, he made baked potatoes using white rose waxy potatoes that he pierced with a fork and put in a 550 degree oven for an hour (turning over at the halfway point of cooking). They came out crisp on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. I've tried cooking them this way and they are great. It also works well with russets.

Well, I am willing to try anything to try and get the skin a bit crisper on the potatoes we have here in Panama. Seems a bit high on the temperature, but heck, spuds are still cheap. Thanks for the input.

This is a second hand story from a cousin of mine that was a Marine stationed in Panama way back when we were taking down Noreaga:

He said they would see villagers outside of town living in small huts and such that would start up communal fires at night. They would wrap taters in some sort of large leave which he believed to be banana leaves, kinda like you would wrap a tortilla (start wrapping, fold in the edges, then wrap the rest of the way). They would then secure it with plant stems or vines it looked like before tossing in the edges of the fire. Every so often they would 'turn' em, and do this until the leaves had completely steamed out and turned brittle and were falling away, then pull them out, let me cool, and eat as is.
Sounded interesting...

I remember on the old Food Network show, Taste with David Rosengarten, he made baked potatoes using white rose waxy potatoes that he pierced with a fork and put in a 550 degree oven for an hour (turning over at the halfway point of cooking). They came out crisp on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. I've tried cooking them this way and they are great. It also works well with russets.

I really miss David Rosengarten. He was the best. No entertainment, no stupid jokes, no "BAM", no B.S. , just good cooking advice and interesting facts about the food he cooked. We need him back.

I usually peel and slice the potatoes, coat them olive oil + seasonings and then bake for about 25 minutes.

I believe that doing them this way changes them to roasted potatoes. It's a terminology thing. :)

I take 4 potatoes cover them in grease and place in a 450 F over for about an hour striaght on the rack..... take out and compress them..if they give which they usually do I them wrap them in foil.......at this point you can salt the outsides if you want and then wrap them to aborb the salt.........they can stay like that for at least 45 minutes while you do other things

I take 4 potatoes cover them in grease and place in a 450 F over for about an hour striaght on the rack..... take out and compress them..if they give which they usually do I them wrap them in foil.......at this point you can salt the outsides if you want and then wrap them to aborb the salt.........they can stay like that for at least 45 minutes while you do other things
But all I used to have to do with good old Russets was to carress them fully with butter and or oil, stick them in the oven at 425 for an hour and "voila" perfect crispy spuds. The problem here in Panama is the species of potatoes. The skin is brown all right, but it is very thin. Just does not crisp up like I would like.

Oh well, a nice baked potato is hard to beat.

Marty:chef:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom