TNT: Beer Braised Cabbage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zereh

Head Chef
Don't you love when someone says "want me to do the cabbage for dinner"?? These were fantastic! I didn't watch him do it all, but asked questions at the table in between bites later to make sure I could replicate it on my own. Like maybe for breakfast ... haha.

Heat your skillet over med heat until nice and warm then add couple glugs of chili oil, or a canola-type oil with a generous amount of red pepper flakes.

Once the oil is hot, add:
zest of one small orange
a T of caraway seeds
a diced onion
and cook until the onions are translucent

Cut a small head of cabbage into thin-ish strips and add to the onions.

Pour a scant half-bottle of beer (he used the apricot ale we had with dinner) over the cabbage. Let it come to a simmer and cook until the cabbage is soft and the beer is almost fully evaporated.

Serve with a small dallop of sour cream.

Reading this almost has me scooting out for an orange.
Do you think any beer would work, or should you go with a flavored beer like you used? I've only ever seen cherry wheat though... I don't pay much attention to all the micro brews out there though.

I'd use what ever you have handy. =) Or head to the store and buy a single bottle of something you've never had before but always wanted to try since you're going to be "forced" to finish it some other way. :D

Last edited:
Yum this sounds so good. Probably any beer would work but I think I would be tempted to try a Blue Moon Belgian White Ale, it has a hint of orange and is usually served with an orange wedge.
Note to self.....get more cabbage and Blue Moon! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Cooking

Back
Top Bottom