Tomato and cheese casserole-rec.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
If you're lucky enough to have your own tomatoes, this is so tasty with just about any type of grilled meat. My family loves it with beef, steaks,flank steak, chuck roast. emmm
Serves 6
4-med onions, sliced thin
3-TAB butter
5-6 large tomatoes thickly sliced
1-c. grated cheddar cheese
1/2-c. grated monterey jack
1-c-bread crumbs
salt and pepper to taste
1-tea. paprika
2-eggs-beaten
1-c. sour cream or creme fraiche
in skillet saute the onions in butter, but don't brown them. Grease a deep 2 qt. casserole and put in a layer of tomatoes on the bottom. Sprinkle with some cheese then bread crumbs, onions, salt and pepper and paprika. Repeat layering til you've used all ingredients. Just be sure to end with the cheese:LOL: In small bowl beat the eggs and sour cream til smooth, pour over casserole and then sprinkle on a little more salt and paprika to add some color. Cover and bake at a preheated 375f oven for about 30 min. uncover and bake 15 min longer so it will puff and get golden.
enjoy,
kadesma:)

Oh I can't wait to try this. The first little tomatoes are just now popping out on all of Paul's plants. We'll have a million before the summer is over.

Thank you!!

pdswife said:
Oh I can't wait to try this. The first little tomatoes are just now popping out on all of Paul's plants. We'll have a million before the summer is over.

Thank you!!
You're welcome Pds,
I just came in with about 8 good sized tomatoes from the garden, so I most likely will be making this one night this week. I also want to just slice someand try them with a balckberry balsamic vinegar my daughter gave me yesterday..It tastes great all alone, so imagine it on ripe tomatoes :wub:

Corinne said:
Directly into the recipe software with this one! A lot of the time I have tomatoes that need to be used or they will go bad. This recipe will take care of that little problem! Thank you!
Glad you can use it Corinne,
I wait for summer so I can have good ripe tomatoes, so I hunt for recipes to use thm. This one is a favorite.

I made this wonderful recipe for Saturday dinner w/ friends. Everyone loved it!! It is a keeper for sure. thanks for posting it.

marajo said:
I made this wonderful recipe for Saturday dinner w/ friends. Everyone loved it!! It is a keeper for sure. thanks for posting it.
Thank you Marajo,
I'm glad you enjoyed the casserole.It's nice of you to let me know...

Sounds like a winning recipe to impress using all the staple ingredients I would keep in the fridge all the time!! I would like to experiment with different types of cheeses too... oh CJ, this recipe makes me hungry just looking at it!!:-p

mrsmac said:
This looks great, I will try it next time I have a lot of tomatoes thanks.:)
Hi Mrsmac,
hope you get a chance to try this one, even the little ones like it.:)

kadesma

thumpershere2 said:
Just brought in 8 lg tomatoes so will make this dish this week. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome thumpershere,
I hope you enjoy it too.

urmaniac13 said:
Sounds like a winning recipe to impress using all the staple ingredients I would keep in the fridge all the time!! I would like to experiment with different types of cheeses too... oh CJ, this recipe makes me hungry just looking at it!!:-p
It's an easy one urmaniac,And it's nice because as you say, most of the ingredients are right at hand.
I made it with a pepper jack cheese, and it was good, although the cheese is to hot for the kids. Next time I plan to try a pilota cheese I just found at the grocery..Don't know quite how to describe it, but it's smooth in the mouth at first then the flavor kind of bursts through as you chew. It's not strong, but rather an in between mellow..Very good.

Hi Kadesma! I really like the look of this recipe....I am going to try it out tonight as a side dish to go with either some lamb chops or pork chops. I love your recipes!

That looks great!! Thank you for the recipe. I have alot to tomotoes to use up this week. I'll try that tommorrow. Have you ever made it with canned tomatoes in the winter?

Sandyj said:
Hi Kadesma! I really like the look of this recipe....I am going to try it out tonight as a side dish to go with either some lamb chops or pork chops. I love your recipes!
Hi Sandy,
great, hope you like it. It's a favorite here. It's nice to be able to post a recipe that others enjoy and like. Thanks for letting me know.

carolelaine said:
That looks great!! Thank you for the recipe. I have alot to tomotoes to use up this week. I'll try that tommorrow. Have you ever made it with canned tomatoes in the winter?
Thanks Carole,
I've never made it with canned tomatoes, but I have used the roma or pear shaped tomatoes during the winter...I like the romas for this recipe they get so sweet, and flavorful, when roasted or cooked..

Quick question about the breadcrumbs in this recipe - should they be made from fresh bread, or stale (I have two half loaves of leftover garlic bread from Sunday which I could put in the blender or grate) or, store bought - I have some with Italian seasoning? This may seem like a silly question to you, but I've noticed quite a difference in how they taste depending on how they started out in the recipe......BTW home computer fried - haven't been able to come to DC in the evenings and on week-ends.

Tomato and Cheese Casserole

Thank you for much for the receipe - I will print it out and put it in my large notebook.

It sounds delicious. Thanks again.

Jill and Jolie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom