Tomato Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
[FONT=&quot]Tomato Pie [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Use seasonal fresh tomatoes for the best results. Heirlooms work really well for this.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ingredients[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]1 9-inch pie shell [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 cup chopped yellow or red onion [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]3-4 tomatoes chopped, approximately 3 cups, (cut in half horizontally and squeeze to remove excess juice. Use a spoon to remove the seeds. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 teaspoon kosher salt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/4 cup sliced basil (about 8 large leaves)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]2 cups grated cheese (and combination of sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack, or Mozzarella. I use @ 1 cup Aldi’s Mexican Mix shredded cheese and 1 cup Mozzarella)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]½ cup Ricotta cheese[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 cup mayonnaise (NOT salad dressing)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Freshly ground black pepper[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]*To slice the basil, chiffonade them by stacking the leaves on top of each other, roll them up like a cigar, starting at one end crosswise in thin slices. Separate out into thin ribbons[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Pre-bake the crust:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]If using a store-bought pie shell, follow the directions on the package for pre-baking. [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]If you are using a homemade crust, blinds-bake the crust as you normally would.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Use the tines of a fork to poke a few small holes in the bottom of the crust (for venting) and to prevent puffing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Salt and drain the tomatoes:[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Lightly salt the chopped tomatoes and set them in a colander over a bowl to drain while you are pre-baking the crust.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Squeeze as much moisture as you can out of the chopped tomatoes as you can. Use paper towels, a clean dish towel, or a weighted plat set on top of the tomatoes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When the crust is done, remove from oven and lower the temperature to 350 degrees. Allow the crust to cool slightly on a rack. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Assemble the pie: [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Sprinkle a layer of chopped onion over the bottom of the pre-baked pie crust shell.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Spread the drained chopped tomatoes over the onions. [/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Add dollops of the ricotta cheeses around the tomatoes and lightly press into the pie.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]Sprinkle the sliced basil over the tomatoes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Make the cheese topping mixture:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT] · [FONT=&quot]In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, and freshly ground black pepper.[/FONT]
· [FONT=&quot]The mixture should be the consistency of a gooey snowball. Spread the cheese mixture evenly over the tomatoes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bake:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Place in oven and bake at 350°F until cheese is browned and bubbly, anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes. Check at 30 minutes and if not done, leave in oven and check every 5 minutes. [/FONT]
Serve warm, or at room temperature. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers. It is good cold too.

Oh how I wish I'd seen this recipe before I had health issues. It looks soooo good. I expect that you used fresh, pear tomatoes rather than juicy slicers. I have to let Lisa B. know about this, as she has lots of tomatoes fron her garden.

Nice recipe. Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh how I wish I'd seen this recipe before I had health issues. It looks soooo good. I expect that you used fresh, pear tomatoes rather than juicy slicers. I have to let Lisa B. know about this, as she has lots of tomatoes fron her garden.

Nice recipe. Thanks.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks!

I used Brandywine, Purple Cherokee, and Better Boy (?) from my garden.

Back
Top Bottom