Tomato Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alix said:
Oh mish, I'm drooling. I love the idea of the mozza layered in there. Mmmmmmmm!

Alix, it's sooo good. I usually make it as a side for a picnic during the summer with chicken (rotisserie, fried or oven-baked), cold macaroni salad, and/or potato salad, coleslaw, biscuits/rolls, fruit & lemonade. Hope you will give it a try. Another thought - is to combine red & green tomatoes for a colorful dish.

Note: I agree with KE, fresh basil, herbs, ingredients are always the best!

Mish,
Your makeover sounds so good. I think leaving out the oregano is a great idea, just the taste of sweet tomaotes and basil along with the two cheeses sounds just perfect to me. Will give it a try and soon.

kadesma:)

kadesma said:
Mish,
Your makeover sounds so good. I think leaving out the oregano is a great idea, just the taste of sweet tomaotes and basil along with the two cheeses sounds just perfect to me. Will give it a try and soon.

kadesma:)

Thanks, kads. I agree, when it comes to a fresh veggie dish -sometimes less is more. The little roma tomatoes (deseeded) work well, less bitter IMO. Enjoy ;)

RMS said:
Can't wait to try this recipe. I love tomatoes!

I love tomatoes as well, RMS. Another take would be to sub out the basil for spinach. Or, a sliced tomato & sliced zuke pie w mozzarella. Tomatoes, Feta & spinach is another way to go. Let us know your results, when you give it a try.;)

Last edited:
mish said:
Thanks, kads. I agree, when it comes to a fresh veggie dish -sometimes less is more. The little roma tomatoes (deseeded) work well, less bitter IMO. Enjoy ;)
Well Mish,
there were some really nice Roma's at the store as well as some beautiful basil so we are having some tomatoe pie tonight:LOL:

kadesma

mish - this thread was started about 2 years ago and it's alive and well - just like the love for a good tomato pie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :chef:

I like to serve this pie with a salad of baby greens. I use it for the entree. I've also served this with my prosciutto/goat cheese wrapped asparagus. I've been looooonging for a tomato pie! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mish - I might just try your "makeover" with water-packed mozzarella that has been marinated in a basil/garlic oil I make. Oh my - I REALLY can't wait now!

Robo410 said:
plant more tomatoes than you need...Is that possible??

Doesn't that happen no matter how many you plant anyway? Can you imagine if you planted MORE than you thought you needed? :ohmy:

This great Tomato Pie (or Tomato Pie II) is definitely the main course. I would serve it with sauteed mushroom caps in brown sauce and Greek carrots.

mish said:
Tomato Pie

One 9" pie crust (homemade or store bought)
5 medium size ripe tomatoes sliced
1 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
Chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400° F.

Prick pie crust with a fork, bake 10 minutes, and remove from oven. Reduce heat to 325° F.

Pat tomatoes down with paper towel. Cover bottom of crust with 2 layers of tomatoes. Sprinkle on half the scallions, oregano, and basil and season with salt and pepper.

In a bowl, combine the cheddar cheese and mayonnaise, mix till well blended, and spread half the mixture over the tomatoes.

Repeat layering with the remaining tomatoes, scallions, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and mayonnaise spread. Top with Parmesan cheese and bake till golden and firm, about 45 minutes. Let pie cool slightly before slicing.
Oh my, Mish! I just saw this one and printed it on the spot! This sounds fabulous for this summer when tomatoes are going crazy!

Two thumbs UP! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom