Tomato Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Tomato Pie

One 9" pie crust (homemade or store bought)
5 medium size ripe tomatoes sliced
1 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
Chopped fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 400° F.

Prick pie crust with a fork, bake 10 minutes, and remove from oven. Reduce heat to 325° F.

Pat tomatoes down with paper towel. Cover bottom of crust with 2 layers of tomatoes. Sprinkle on half the scallions, oregano, and basil and season with salt and pepper.

In a bowl, combine the cheddar cheese and mayonnaise, mix till well blended, and spread half the mixture over the tomatoes.

Repeat layering with the remaining tomatoes, scallions, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and mayonnaise spread. Top with Parmesan cheese and bake till golden and firm, about 45 minutes. Let pie cool slightly before slicing.

Last edited:
I think I'd serve it with grilled anything. It sounds very good. We can always count on Mish to give us something new and delish!

lyndalou said:
I think I'd serve it with grilled anything. It sounds very good. We can always count on Mish to give us something new and delish!

Hi lyndalou. Nice to "see" you. Thank you for the kind words/compliment :)

Makes a good picnic side too with southern fried (or grilled)chicken, big green salad & a cold macaroni salad or grilled corn on the cob - OR an accompaniment to salmon & grilled asparagus...or grilled anything, as you mentioned. Could experiment w cheese of choice, mozzarella, swiss, muenster etc. or add some sliced zuccinni(sp) to the pie as well. Green tomatoes might be interesting too.

That looks delicious! Can't wait till I get some good fresh tomatoes and try it.
I planted more than I needed, in case some didn't make it, but all 10 are doing great. My husband does not like fresh tomatoes (un-American!) but does like them cooked or roasted, so I'm sure he'll dig this dish.

Thank you Constance. Lucky you! I love tomatoes. Could probably eat a tomato sammich w mayo. Somewhere, think I posted a recipe for Tomatoes Fontina - stuffed with a tubetti pasta & fontina cheese, if you need some ideas.

That sounds good, Mish. Right now I all have are blooms and one little green Roma coming on.
First thing will be a BLT with mayo!

Last year I oven roasted some Romas with a few herbs and whole garlic heads, then put them through the food mill (I have one on my Kitchen Aid). Talk about some luscious tomato sauce! I also put a lot of them through the mill raw, for a nice puree to cook with.

Go ahead Constance, rub it in. You have fresh tomatoes & I don't. :LOL: (I'm kidding with you, I hope you know.) The best thing this city girl can do is wait for my herb Chia pet to blossom. Another idea for a go with for the tomato pie - cream cheese omelette topped with guacamole & honey-do & can't elope on the side.

mish, thanks for the recipe. i'm always looking for new things to do with tomatoes.

when my termaters come in this year, i'll make you a pie. i'm up to 27 plants so far. i have about 16 more in tiny peat pots that i'm gonna try to pawn off to my family when i see them, but i think they all have their gardens in already...

c'mon up and pick 'em up crewsk. when i was weeding before putting in my tomatoes, i noticed a whole bunch of tomato plants coming up on their own all over the garden, from leftover seeds. i dug them out and put them in pots. ya never know what kind of tomato you're gonna get. could be grape or cherries; could be big boy, super steak, or yellow pear.

I had a huge one that came up like that last year in our brush pile. It produced some wonderful tomatoes! I haven't planted any this year & since we're moving I'm glad I didn't. It would be one more plant I'd have to move with us & since I plant my tomatoes in hay bales that would be kinda hard to do.

Crewsk, please tell me how you do the hay bale thing. I find that very interesting.
Mish, there are advantages to being in the city. For one thing, you can find all those exotic ingredients that don't make their way out into the sticks.

Constance said:
Crewsk, please tell me how you do the hay bale thing. I find that very interesting.

You can actually buy them here - very inexpensive and good to buy a bunch of them for children's birthday parties - they make great seats!!! lol I'm curious too crewsk, how do you plant your tomatoes in them? You are talking about the small rectangular hay bales, right?

Sounds like a good topic to start re planting tomatoes. Hope people will enjoy the recipe.

Your tomato pie has my vote mish - sometimes things just go a little off topic LOL - I made my new recipe for tomato pie last night - I'm making yours tomorrow night - I know I will like it better!!!! Can't wait!

Thanks elf. Would like to see your recipe too & get back on track.

mish - I posted my recipe under Tomato Pie II. I "thought" I wanted one without mayo as sometimes the mayo is very overpowering. I may even try a combination of mayo, cottage cheese, and ricotta! But I much prefer the spring onions and fresh herbs in a tomato pie. While the dried herbs were fine there's nothing like fresh basil that says TOMATO PIE!! lol

Since I posted this recipe (way back when), and it's one of my fave quick & easy sides (& KE has mentioned it quite a few :-p) - I'm thinking about making a few changes for a new Spring/Summer dish accompaniment.

I will do everything pretty much the same except, omit the mayo, oregano & green onions. I'll call it an almost Caprese pie; i.e. sliced tomatoes, drained & seeds removed - sprinkled with salt & pepper, thinly sliced mozzarella, and again fresh (torn) basil between the layers... keep on layering ingredients until the pie crust is almost full. An optional addition -- add blanched, cooked fresh asparagus over the top in a circular pattern with a sprinkle of fresh grated Parmesan over the top. Bake until everything is just heated & cheese is melted.

Going back to the old fave recipes & giving 'em a new twist, makes everything fresh & new again -- a makeover, if you will.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom