Tomato Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kezlehan

Senior Cook
Here's my recipe for a basic tomato sauce. I freeze this in individual portions and use it up through the week. I recently had it with some turkey mince and a salad, and it was delicious. Also good with pasta!

Ingredients
Cooking spray
2 onions, finely chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 tsp sugar
4 tins of chopped tomatoes

Method
Spray a pan with the cooking spray. Cook the vegetables, bay leaf, sugar and some salt for 10-15 minutes until tender.
Stir in the tomatoes and 150ml water.
Simmer very gently for 30 minutes, or until reduced by 2/3

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Makes about 8 portions, each clocking in at around 60 calories.

Last edited:
I freeze this in individual portions.....

I don't care to put up finished tomato sauces, because it limits my flexibility.

Normally I make oodles of plain sauce (i.e., just the tomatoes and a bit of salt) during the growing season, and can it in quart jars. Then, when I want to make a sauce to use, I start with a jar of the tomato base and build from there.

I freeze this in individual portions.....

I don't care to put up finished tomato sauces, because it limits my flexibility.

Normally I make oodles of plain sauce (i.e., just the tomatoes and a bit of salt) during the growing season, and can it in quart jars. Then, when I want to make a sauce to use, I start with a jar of the tomato base and build from there.

Do you have a job that requires you to be out of the house for a large portion of the day? I would love to do a meal where I can basically start from scratch every day, but don't have that luxury. A lot of preparations are done during my time off, so I'll have "finished" tomato sauce in the freezer, ready to go.;)

Craig

Back
Top Bottom