Tomatoes and Tomato Salad Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
I've seen so many lovely recipes here re tomatoes - from roasted, to fresh tomato sauce. A few of my other favorite ways to prepare/serve tomatoes are tomato salads, stuffed tomatoes, and using the tomatoes to hold dips, seafood salad, cottage cheese, couscous, etc.

Here are some ideas for Tomatoes and Tomato salads:

Grilled asparagus (with lemon juice/zest), served surrounded with sliced or roasted tomatoes, toasted pine nuts (opt), on butter lettuce on a platter, drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette.

Green beans (or haricot verts), cherry tomatoes, cubes of mozzarella or feta, drizzle with balsamic or Italian dressing.

Grilled tomato salad - grill tomatoes & asparagus, add sliced red onions, sliced mushrooms, slivers of garlic, black olives & Parmesan.

Romas - slice thinly (not all the way to the bottom of the tomato), place thin slices of mozzarella between the tomato slices, sprinkle with diced red onions, insert basil leaves between the slices, and drizzle with dressing of choice.

Tomatoes make great containers for dips for parties. Fill the hollowed out tomatoes with a sun-dried tomato, artichoke or seafood/clam dip.

Show me your creative tomato ideas.

Last edited:
I can't claim this as my own. However, we are making this salad at work right now

Three thick slices of heirloom tomatoes, preferently different colors
2 or 3 small, grape- or cherry-tomato sized heirloom tomatoes, again, different colors, cut into quarters
Three slices Buffalo Mozzarella, I believe it's the "ovoline" size
Two Parmesan crisps, the same diameter as the tomato slices
A leafy salad made entirely from fresh herbs, mainly Basil, tarragon, thyme, parsley, chives, etc.
Truffle Viniagrette (can't give you the recipe, I'm not the one that makes it)
salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
EVOO
Balsamic reduction (balsamic vinegar reduced until it is thick and syrupy)

In a small bowl, lay the cut tomatoes. Drizzle with EVOO and salt to taste with salt and pepper.
In another bowl, place about 3 T of the herb salad mix and drizzle with the truffle viniagrette, and mix.
Arrange this salad by drizzling some of the Balsamic reduction on the plate, and some EVOO. Start by layering a tomato slice, a mozz slice, a T of the herb salad, a parmesan crisp, repeat this once, then top with the remaining tomato slice, mozz slice, and salad mix. Arrange the small tomatoes around the Tomato "Napolean".

these are humble concoctions, but I like them:

stuff a tomato with tuna or chicken salad
stuff cherry tomatoes with Boursin cheese and run them under the broiler for a minute

AllenMI said:
I can't claim this as my own. However, we are making this salad at work right now

Three thick slices of heirloom tomatoes, preferently different colors
2 or 3 small, grape- or cherry-tomato sized heirloom tomatoes, again, different colors, cut into quarters
Three slices Buffalo Mozzarella, I believe it's the "ovoline" size
Two Parmesan crisps, the same diameter as the tomato slices
A leafy salad made entirely from fresh herbs, mainly Basil, tarragon, thyme, parsley, chives, etc.
Truffle Viniagrette (can't give you the recipe, I'm not the one that makes it)
salt and fresh-ground pepper to taste
EVOO
Balsamic reduction (balsamic vinegar reduced until it is thick and syrupy)

In a small bowl, lay the cut tomatoes. Drizzle with EVOO and salt to taste with salt and pepper.
In another bowl, place about 3 T of the herb salad mix and drizzle with the truffle viniagrette, and mix.
Arrange this salad by drizzling some of the Balsamic reduction on the plate, and some EVOO. Start by layering a tomato slice, a mozz slice, a T of the herb salad, a parmesan crisp, repeat this once, then top with the remaining tomato slice, mozz slice, and salad mix. Arrange the small tomatoes around the Tomato "Napolean".

Allen, would love to see the truffle vinaigrette -- if you can get your hands on the recipe. Sounds yum. :chef:

one more humble concoction:

I've been making various cheese spreads/crumbles lately, and one excellent one is to combine a soft cheese with Penzey's, Chicago Steak Seasoning, it has a smoky quality:

sliced tomatoes with crumbled cheese atop.........whoa, pretty darn good

mudbug said:
these are humble concoctions, but I like them:

stuff a tomato with tuna or chicken salad
stuff cherry tomatoes with Boursin cheese and run them under the broiler for a minute

Mud, I love stuffed tomatoes. Real comfort food. Never tried Boursin. Must put it on my 'list.' Thank you.

bethzaring said:
one more humble concoction:

I've been making various cheese spreads/crumbles lately, and one excellent one is to combine a soft cheese with Penzey's, Chicago Steak Seasoning, it has a smoky quality:

sliced tomatoes with crumbled cheese atop.........whoa, pretty darn good

Yum, Beth. Never tried Penzey's Chicago Steak seasoning. The smokey flavor (with tomatoes and cheese) sounds delish. Thank you.

On the lighter side, I remember a recipe years ago, with sliced tomatoes on a platter, drizzled with yogurt and sprinkled with chives and black pepper..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom