Tomatoes TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
As you can see I'm a tomato NUT:LOL: I can't wait for summer and fresh sweet toes to ripen in my garden. This recipe is a favorite of ours. Cut the stem end from some good sized romas( I use this when ripe are not available) now scoop out the pulp. Turn shells upside down to drain. Finely chop the pulp to get 1 cup. Set aside cook 1/1/2 cups fresh mushrooms in 2 tab. butter. Combine 1/2 cup sour cream and 2 beaten egg yolks mixing well Add to mushrooms and the 1 cup of pulp and mix well. Stir in 1/2 cup bread crumbs salt,pepper and pinch of thyme Cook til the mixture thickens and boils. Place tomatoe shells in a 8x8 baking dish spoon mushroom mixture into tomatoes.
Combine 1 Tab butter and 3 Tab bread crumbs sprinkle on tomatoes Bake at 375 for 25 min.
Enjoy,
kadesma

Now that sounds like a great recipe! Tomatoe season is only 15 or 16 months away!

Now that sounds like a great recipe! Tomatoe season is only 15 or 16 months away!
Where the heck are you? I just had my s-i-l plant some heirloom tomato seed in the hot house to get them started:LOL: come april and may we will get them in the ground.
kadesma:)

I'm in Michigan. If we are lucky we will get our first tomatoes in July if we start from plants and not seeds. And if we are able to plant early enough and can find some early girl plants. I wasn't talking about planting season, I was talking about "eating fresh off the vine" season.

I'm in Michigan. If we are lucky we will get our first tomatoes in July if we start from plants and not seeds. And if we are able to plant early enough and can find some early girl plants. I wasn't talking about planting season, I was talking about "eating fresh off the vine" season.
I hope you find some early plants. I try to stay away from anything longer than 70-75 days I'm always tempted but try to not give in.
kadesma:)

15 or 16 months?? That is over a year. I am glad I don't live up there, tomatoes only in season every 1/2 year or so.:LOL:

[/COLOR]

15 or 16 months?? That is over a year. I am glad I don't live up there, tomatoes only in season every 1/2 year or so.:LOL:

Well, I just bought my plants this weekend. Hopefully we can get them in the ground soon. But this morning we actually had a little frost. I can't believe it! Still we always figure its not safe to plant until May 15th which of course is today. (The 15 months was a joke of course.) until the fall it's mostly hot house tomatoes or stuff trucked in from somewhere else. Well, there are advantages to living in Michigan. I'm just having a litte trouble thinking what they are just now!:LOL:

I love stuffed tomatoes - have you ever tried them stuffed with couscous or pearl couscous or rice? Mix in a little cheese, some mushrooms, mmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another reason I'm blessed to live here. We planted both our two foot plants in March and they've already doubled in size. I checked them today, and both plants are loaded with little green tomatoes. Over the span of their long season here, last year we had over a hundred ripe 5 inch tomatoes from just two plants. I can't wait!!

Your recipe sounds delish Kades........can't wait to try it.
Vrecipes, yours look great too!!
By the way, welcome to DC

Last edited:
I love stuffed tomatoes - have you ever tried them stuffed with couscous or pearl couscous or rice? Mix in a little cheese, some mushrooms, mmmm. I have a couple of stuffed tomato recipes on my website, if you're interested.

I'm far from a Vegetarian VRecipes, but this picture is to die for!!
IMG_0339.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I share kadesma's love of tomatoes, so I've done a lot of experiments with stuffing them!

I'm SO jealous that you can actually grow your own. I grew up with a garden, but now I'm in an apartment, so all I get is an herb-window-pot. What kind of tomatoes do you grow? Any of the weird colored heirlooms? Sounds like the season is looking better this year; I hear last year was kind of a mess with all the rain.

>>apartment

our youngest lives in Brooklyn, in a 3rd floor walk up.
the kitchen window is the access to the metal grated fire escape.

if they have a fire event, inside tomato season, they're toast. the fire escape landings/ladders are _loaded_ with container tomato plants....

>>apartment

if they have a fire event, inside tomato season, they're toast. the fire escape landings/ladders are _loaded_ with container tomato plants....

Fresh tomatoes are absolutely worth it :)

>>apartment

Aren't you worried about your kid?

It's also rather inconsiderate. It would cause a problem for all the people in apartments above.

We have a greenhouse full of tomato plants that would so LOVE to go in the ground...unfortunately, with all the rain we've had (and another week of rain forecast for next week), we can't get the gardens rototilled. I'm so frustrated by all the rain. It's a good thing I don't have to go to an office to work--the laundry is drying very slowly (I don't use a dryer--that's a long story).

My favorite way to eat tomatoes, besides sliced on toast with mayo, salt, and pepper and a few slices of jalepeno pepper, is to take tomatoes, cube them, sprinkle with basalmic vinegar and olive oil, fresh basil, salt, pepper, and fresh mozarella cheese or feta (when I don't have moz). I can eat this every day for lunch in the summer...

There's nothing better than a home-grown tomato. We've had a lot of rain lately, but I can't wait for the weather to improve and the sun to shine so that I can plant our tomatoes. I always start with plants, not seeds, and I like to plant three varities: Big Boy, plum, and cherry.

Im in the same state. I agree July is about the time they will be ripe off the vine.

Thanks! I share kadesma's love of tomatoes, so I've done a lot of experiments with stuffing them!

I'm SO jealous that you can actually grow your own. I grew up with a garden, but now I'm in an apartment, so all I get is an herb-window-pot. What kind of tomatoes do you grow? Any of the weird colored heirlooms? Sounds like the season is looking better this year; I hear last year was kind of a mess with all the rain.

I live in an apartment as well. I use big pots and put one tomato plant per pot and they grow well like that! Tge patio is like 6 feet long but only 3 feet out so its a tight squeeze but its possible

Back
Top Bottom