Using less onion not noticing big differences

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I never did understand metric, well, I learned a little. A meter is 2.2 feet (i think) or about 40".

A kilo is 2.2 # - I think.

I've driven many times in Canada, have figured out kilometers (they're printed on my speedometer). You can drive a lot faster that way.

I guesstimate kilos when we go on vacation. Don't order the kilos of ham or chicken in Mexico, way more than 2 people can eat!

I equate grams with those who sell illegal substances, not so much with onions.

Last edited:
...but then, what is one to do with a little bit of left-over onion, toss it? or use it...

I'll usually chop whatever size onion I have on hand, eyeball what I think should go into the pot dependent upon the volume of other ingredients, and if I have leftover I freeze it. I'll spread the chopped onion on a baking sheet and put it into the freezer. Once frozen, I slid them into a zipper freezer bag and file for a future use.

After years of cooking, I'm starting to notice that I don't really need to use as much onion as recipes usually call for. Most recipes seem to call for 1 onion chopped up. I started realizing that its a bit overwhelming. You get a lot out of a chopped onion and onions do vary in size.

Does anyone else ever notice this? I'm not saying that I never or would never need to use a whole onion cut up, but it just more I'm noticing more frequently that I don't need to use that! much onion in things that I make.
I find it depends on the onion.

"They" say that as we age our perception of taste deteriorates but I haven't noticed this in myself. It sounds as if yours is sharpening up.

However, I do think that sometimes recipe writers get a bit carried away with amounts. I made a recipe supposed to be enough for 4 just before Christmas and it would have been more appropriate for 6-8 hungry people!

Gah! No switching to metric! I didn't understand it in 5th grade, and I sure as heck won't be able to figure it out now!

I never follow recipes anyway. If the recipe is so persnickety as to require 1/2 cup of chopped onion, I just throw the rest of the onion in, or freeze the leftover onion.
Perhaps it's my age but metric just doesn't make sense. However, more and more newly published recipes don't give alternatives so I have "bilingual" scales for measuring (and don't get me onto the subject of "cups"!)

Last edited:
Oh, no Charlie: That's all we need is to change out measurements. We still can't agree how much a half on onion is!

Do you really think this is the time to change our measurements?

You're a smart man. Can't you figure our a better way???

xoxo Z

I think that would be perfect way. it would simplify everything. Also scale manufacturers will be happy, and no I am not getting a cut from their profit. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gah! No switching to metric! I didn't understand it in 5th grade, and I sure as heck won't be able to figure it out now!

I had an argument about that at my work with one person. If you know how to count to 10 then you Do understand metric system It is that simple. I've been in America 25 years, eh, not quite not for another 8 hours and 15 minutes, the only reason I understand standard system is because I use scale or ruler or tape measure. Same with metric, but much-much easier, there is nothing to understand. Just use measuring devices and you are perfectly ok. ;)

Perhaps it's my age but metric just doesn't make sense. However, more and more newly published recipes don't give alternatives so I have "bilingual" scales for measuring (and don't get me onto the subject of "cups"!)

Oh, now come on. YOu live in England, most everything is metric nowadays. Besides, the only reason people do not understand metric because they are trying to figure out how much it would be in the old system. Stop figuring out, stop comparing. Just use the scale or measuring cup. It doesn't matter what it is in pounds, besides English pound is different than American is it not? Or is it mile? :LOL:

I agree it would be a better, easier method, Charlie, but all the recipes I know of are written for cups and spoons.

I agree it would be a better, easier method, Charlie, but all the recipes I know of are written for cups and spoons.

True in the USA. Less true elsewhere.

I'm in the process of converting the measurements in my recipes to metric units and weights where it makes sense.

Oh, now come on. YOu live in England, most everything is metric nowadays. Besides, the only reason people do not understand metric because they are trying to figure out how much it would be in the old system. Stop figuring out, stop comparing. Just use the scale or measuring cup. It doesn't matter what it is in pounds, besides English pound is different than American is it not? Or is it mile? :LOL:
To the best of my knowledge pounds (weight) and miles are the same . It's pints that are different. Yours are 16 ounces: ours are 20 ounces so be careful if you are drinking in a pub over here.

There was an outcry when the UK was about to go metric, with the result that beer and milk is still sold in pints.Distances on road signs are given in miles. Very good at sitting on fences are us Brits. :LOL:

We still measure the height of horses in "hands" ( ie multiples of 4inches) but there is a move to use centimetres. Fortunately 4inches = 10 cms so should be easy but I still have problems. I can imagine the height of a 15.3 hands horse but tell me that it's 153 cms and I'm sunk.

It doesn't help that I'm dyscalculic.

Canadians use imperial gallons for gas (petrol), I assume it's the same across the pond?

I hear ya about the math skills.

Last edited:
I'll usually chop whatever size onion I have on hand, eyeball what I think should go into the pot dependent upon the volume of other ingredients, and if I have leftover I freeze it. I'll spread the chopped onion on a baking sheet and put it into the freezer. Once frozen, I slid them into a zipper freezer bag and file for a future use.

Word for word....I do exactly the same. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom