Vegetable snacks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Does anyone have any recipes or suggestions for vegi snacks? Crudités (carrot sticks, celery sticks, etc.) are obvious. I'm wondering what other sorts of high vegi content snacks people can think of.

We'll put all sorts of veggies on our platter: cauliflower, mushrooms, radishes, bell peppers, grape tomatoes, scallions, broccoli, and asparagus. Those last two get a very light steam.

I used to do a fruit platter with peanut butter, chocolate sauce, and a cream cheese dip. That would get apples, pears, strawberries, pineapple, and firm banana slices. Grapes and nuts scattered around. I stick with the veggie mixture now.

Slice cucumber to about 1", hollow almost to the bottom and stuff with any mixture you wish, be it egg salad, slivers of carrots mixed with various bell peppers (or hot!).

On the same line as above, slice thin strips of cucumber and wrap around various mixtures.

Use mini potatoes, fingerlings or round, boil/bake (but not mushy), scoop out centres, stuff with regular baked potato things (use imitation bacon if you'd like, in small quantities they're great).

Are you talking snack for yourself? as in pass by the fridge, reach in and munch on something. Or snacks to serve.

Cream cheese, flavoured (or Borsin) is great stuffed in mushroom caps. Baked or raw (if raw be sure to use just small caps).

At this time of year I always have some sweet and sour cucumber sticks in the fridge to snack on - one jar getting pickled (only a day or two), and one drained, with various seasonings. When I finish one, I spin the other jar dry, to add seasoning, and put it back in the jar again, then rinse out the other, and fill it up again. Also, all of those tomatoes - not much seasoning needed with those. Not time yet for sampling hot peppers, but very soon!

Try one of these --

Jicama. Peel and slice into about 1-1/14 inch wide strips by about 1/14-3/8 inch thick slices. Sprinkle with lime juice and dip ends in ancho or powdered chili pepper. Jicama does not discolor and has a mild sweet flavor.

Rutabaga. Prepare as per jicama. Raw rutabaga are sweeter, I think, than cooked, Both are, however, hard to peel and evenly slice.

Kohlrabi. Peel and slice into thin disks. Has a pleasant bite to them. I like small to medium slices rather than larger sizes.

Use icicle radishes along with or in place of red radishes.

Raw peapods. Unzip. Use a baggie with a Small end cut out. Pipe small dots of softened flavored cream cheese to simulate peas. Or pipe a line across the peas and stick in a baby shrimp.

At this time of year I always have some sweet and sour cucumber sticks in the fridge to snack on - one jar getting pickled (only a day or two), and one drained, with various seasonings. When I finish one, I spin the other jar dry, to add seasoning, and put it back in the jar again, then rinse out the other, and fill it up again. Also, all of those tomatoes - not much seasoning needed with those. Not time yet for sampling hot peppers, but very soon!

Sounds interesting. Do you mind sharing a recipe?

And tomatoes, yeah, tomato wedges, or cherry or grape tomatoes are an excellent addition a crudités platter.

Last edited:
Are you talking snack for yourself? as in pass by the fridge, reach in and munch on something. Or snacks to serve.

Cream cheese, flavoured (or Borsin) is great stuffed in mushroom caps. Baked or raw (if raw be sure to use just small caps).

Both! :chef:

I was also thinking this would be a good place for people to get ideas of what to bring to our Covid 19 food and drink party.

Deep fried tempura would be a little work but a nice idea for a casual backyard get together of a food station at a large party.

A warm vegetable topped bruschetta or crostino could be prepared ahead and assembled at the last minute.

Spicy ice cold gazpacho shooters with or without a splash of vodka.

Cucumber slices with a dollop of hummus and topped with 1/2 cherry tomato.

Gazpacho served out of cucumber cups

vegetable kababs. Can make them in advance, grill them, leet cool, removed the veggies and toss with a vinaigrette

I made stuffed brussel sprouts in the past which were tedious, but tasted good.

Sounds interesting. Do you mind sharing a recipe?

And tomatoes, yeah, tomato wedges, or cherry or grape tomatoes are an excellent addition a crudités platter.

Those cucumber I make by simply halving the cukes, scooping the seeds out, then cutting the halves into quarters or thirds lengthwise, then into about 2" sticks. Usually it takes about 3 to fill a quart mason jar. For a quart, I first put 1/2 c each sugar and white vinegar, plus 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp calcium chloride - a.k.a. "crisp". I shake that up, until totally dissolved, then pack the jar with the sticks - they aren't going to be all submerged, but I just shake them, to coat them all, and leave it on the counter the rest of the day, turning the jar over several times, as I'd walk by. It could be eaten after 3 or 4 hours, but usually I refrigerate it for a few days, while eating up the other one, turning the jar a few more times. The cukes shrink down about 1½", but remain very crispy, esp. if that CaCl is used.

Whiskadoodle had some good ideas that I use a lot for crispy side snacks, with Asian meals. Those kohlrabi slices I macerate with a little salt, then rince, and dry them off, and toss them 30 seconds in a wok in some sesame and hot oil, for Chinese, or some oil and nam prik pao, for Thai and other SE Asian. Raw sugar snap peas are also a delicious side dish, but I usually eat to many of those while picking them!

Raw sugar snap peas are also a delicious side dish, but I usually eat to many of those while picking them!

I've never had a home grown Snow Pea (Mangetout) reach my kitchen yet. I love them in Stir Fry and soups but... the only ones that make it there are store bought.:huh:

Those cucumber I make by simply halving the cukes, scooping the seeds out, then cutting the halves into quarters or thirds lengthwise, then into about 2" sticks. Usually it takes about 3 to fill a quart mason jar. For a quart, I first put 1/2 c each sugar and white vinegar, plus 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp calcium chloride - a.k.a. "crisp". I shake that up, until totally dissolved, then pack the jar with the sticks - they aren't going to be all submerged, but I just shake them, to coat them all, and leave it on the counter the rest of the day, turning the jar over several times, as I'd walk by. It could be eaten after 3 or 4 hours, but usually I refrigerate it for a few days, while eating up the other one, turning the jar a few more times. The cukes shrink down about 1½", but remain very crispy, esp. if that CaCl is used.

Whiskadoodle had some good ideas that I use a lot for crispy side snacks, with Asian meals. Those kohlrabi slices I macerate with a little salt, then rince, and dry them off, and toss them 30 seconds in a wok in some sesame and hot oil, for Chinese, or some oil and nam prik pao, for Thai and other SE Asian. Raw sugar snap peas are also a delicious side dish, but I usually eat to many of those while picking them!
Thank you. Do you know if the liquid CaCl that is used in cheese making would work? Any idea of the conversion? I assume you are using a powder or something that looks like salt.

For something not seen frequently. cut rhubarb stalks into sticks, as you would celery, and have sweetened sour cream, and a bowl of kosher salt available for those who like sweet, and those who like sour. Candied Ginger sticks are a great snack as well. Pickled watermelon rind is a great snack as well.

Sour Apple slices that have been dressed in lemon juice to prevent browning, and a chocolate fountain, or chocolate fondue is always a hit, though kind of formal. But they are great for a centerpiece.

Thoth not a veggie, a bowl of mixed nuts to include shelled Brazil nuts, macadamia nuts, Spanish peanuts, cashews, and hazelnuts is always a great snack.

Freeze-dried veggies, found in most grocery stores are very tasty as well.

I hope some of these are helpful to you.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thank you. Do you know if the liquid CaCl that is used in cheese making would work? Any idea of the conversion? I assume you are using a powder or something that looks like salt.
That is the same thing, but I really don't know how much you would have to use. I have a small bottle of that, which I got years ago for cheese making, but I bought a bought a pound of food grade Ca(Cl)2 for the pickling.

Out of curiosity I googled for something telling us how to make the 30% liquid, to give an idea of how much would be equivalent, in liquid.
https://muchtodoaboutcheese.com/2014/04/20/home-cheese-making-hack-diy-30-solution-calcium-chloride/

I weighed out the half tsp. of calcium chloride, and it was almost exactly 3.0 g. And 70 g of water were about 1¼ tsp, so just over 1¼ tsp of the solution should work in place of the 1/2 tsp of granules.

That is the same thing, but I really don't know how much you would have to use. I have a small bottle of that, which I got years ago for cheese making, but I bought a bought a pound of food grade Ca(Cl)2 for the pickling.

Out of curiosity I googled for something telling us how to make the 30% liquid, to give an idea of how much would be equivalent, in liquid.
https://muchtodoaboutcheese.com/2014/04/20/home-cheese-making-hack-diy-30-solution-calcium-chloride/

I weighed out the half tsp. of calcium chloride, and it was almost exactly 3.0 g. And 70 g of water were about 1¼ tsp, so just over 1¼ tsp of the solution should work in place of the 1/2 tsp of granules.

Thank you. I guess I didn't use the right terms when "googling". I would be willing to buy the CaCl powder, but I can't find a Canadian source for that. You mention having the liquid for cheese making. It was a cheese making supply place where I found it. Have you done any cheese making? What kind(s)?

taxlady, I've made some cheese, but not long aged type cheeses - I don't have a dedicated fridge for that type. I've just made various queso fresco, and similar fresh cheeses, and mozzarella and other stretched curd cheeses (though the calcium chloride isn't used in those - I think it inhibits the stretching, or something like that).

Back
Top Bottom