Vegetarian Shower Food.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Still I think my vote is on the strawberries. I don't think ANYONE would ever turn those down and they don't have to be all fancy. A simple dip will do!

Speaking of a simple dip for strawberries, I don't think I've ever had a better one, than equal parts of Marshmallow Cream, sometimes called Marshmallow Fluff (from the jar) and whipped cream cheese from the dairy case. The combo is perfect for dipping fruit.

Here is Lauries ganache recipe which is so easy even I was able to do it.

1 1/2 cups 60% bittersweet (or semisweet) chocolate, chopped or bits
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream

Place chocolate in a heat resistant bowl. On low heat bring the cream so a low simmer and take off heat immediately before it scalds. Pour the cream over the chocolate and leave for about 5 seconds. Start to gently stir cream into the chocolate with a wooden spoon until it is all melted and smooth.

Cool to room temp (this takes a few mins)

Dip berries and place on wax paper. Refrigerate to set. You could pack each berrie in a small paper cup (like the ones they use for candies) which you can get at cake/bakery supply shop if you want to make them party friendly.

Here are some I did a while back (cooling on wax paper)

leftovers.jpg

Just an observation, Frank. The bride is a vegetarian. That leaves 29-39 people who probably are not. Unless your appys are going to be the only ones there, do they need to be vegetarian?

I don't think it does... someone else seems to think it does though. :LOL:

Thanks, Janet for sharing that. And don't sell yourself short! That flourless chocolate cake you made looked amazing! Some people think ganache is really difficult but it isn't and you can do so many wonderful things with it. Your berries look great.

Last edited:
Cheese Burek, Cheese and Chard Burek, Cheese and Potato Burek, Samosa's Bhaji's and more Burek

Bolas De Fraile: Thanks for the Burek suggestion. I haven't made it in years, and I am hosting our "Bunch for Brunch" in March and was wondering what to make! Mine won't be vegetarian, it will be one meat and one cheese. I use filo sheets. But what do you use for the cheese filling? It seems I used a mixture of cream cheese and feta, but here I can also get goat cheese. If you're inclined, go over to ethnic and post some burek recipes & methods!

No bake vegetable pizza. Pita bread. Spread each with creamed, cream cheese, pimentos and a bit of garlic, black pepper and sea salt . Top with thinly sliced veggies like: red onion, mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, olives, tomatoes, green peppers. Whatever looks good, even bok choy, bean sprouts and water chestnuts. Cut in quarters, serve. 20 pitas should give each person 2 pieces.

Not sure on amounts...

I was going to suggest this very thing. Well, you know what they say about great minds...!

Joes, that reminds me of another. Assuming not a vegan thing, buy a roll of crescent rolls from the dairy section (there are other options, this is just how I learned it). Unroll them on a baking sheet, and sort of pinch the bits together. Bake. Then, when cooled, spread with whipped cream cheese and top with sliced fruit. You can do pretty presentations of all sorts, for example for a 4th of July, a flag, Initials. Let your imagination run wild. My friends aren't real sweets lovers, but if yours are, make a glaze or take some honey and drizzle it over all.

I'm not going to lie, when I saw the title "vegetarian shower food" I thought of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer makes the salad in the shower.

Beside that I would just make a great dip with some fresh veggies.

I am not going to participate if I end up limited to vegan. :)

Well, I can give you two fantastic vegan dishes that you'd be proud to serve, Frank. I've served them twice for showers, and the meat eaters in the crowd were more than satisfied.

One is a Brown Rice, Garbanzo and Artichoke Salad. the other is a thai Pasta Salad. Nice and spicy. and at one of the showers, I served chicken poached in soy sauce and lemon grass on the side for those who just had to have meat. Let me know if you want the recipes. I hope I'm not too late.

It isn't about pride... as a life long and dedicated meatatarian there is only so far I will go. :LOL:

I once did an interview for a paper with one of my mom's dear friends, a lifetime, three-generations vegan. I'd referred to myself as a dedicated omnivore. Once, later, she said "carnivore". I laughingly corrected her. Omnivore. Our bodies were built to be able to function on a great variety of foods, and I'm all for all of it (except maybe the really weird stuff). But we do a fair number (at least once a week) of meatless meals, and I've had plenty of vegetarian friends, so have a decent repetoir of vegetarian type dishes.

I have never understood why so many meat lovers are SO negative when meatless menus are suggested, or even mentioned. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a meatless meal now and then... Wild Mushroom Risotto? Butternut Squash Risotto? Pasta Puttanesca? Hearty bean soups? There's so much delicious food out there, and not all of it contains meat.... nor does it need to. :)

Andy M. said:
Just an observation, Frank. The bride is a vegetarian. That leaves 29-39 people who probably are not. Unless your appys are going to be the only ones there, do they need to be vegetarian?

That would be something to ask the bride. If she is a vegetarian for animal cruelty reasons meat might be something she would prefer not to have at her wedding at all. It is her day, and you don't want to do anything she might think is inconsiderate

ChefJune said:
I have never understood why so many meat lovers are SO negative when meatless menus are suggested, or even mentioned. There's nothing wrong with enjoying a meatless meal now and then... Wild Mushroom Risotto? Butternut Squash Risotto? Pasta Puttanesca? Hearty bean soups? There's so much delicious food out there, and not all of it contains meat.... nor does it need to. :)

I read every comment and I didn't see a single negative one. Everyone is being very positive and helpful, and the ideas are all great! I think frank is just trying to come up with something different so that he won't bring the same thing as ten other people. Meat eaters don't have as much experience making meatless meals, so we don't have as many options in our recipe boxes to pick from

I don't think every meal needs to include meat and I have and will cook for vegetarians. Going completely vegan just is beyond what I wish to do. If I cook something that is vegan that's fine, but I am just not going to plan that. Just my personal choice. :)

I'll go look for my cheese biscuit recipe. I did these for a shower once. I made a batch and since they call for being rolled and cut out I got the small cookie cutters in a heart shape and the couple's initials. They were a big hit.

ChefJune, I think that omnivores or even carnivores get offended simply because there are so many vegetarians of all sorts who act like it is a religion and push it on their more meat-oriented friends. Plus some have had teen/twenties offspring/relatives who gave them so much grief when they served a steak, only to find the kid eating a pepperoni pizza with their peers. I've had avowed, dedicated vegetarian in-laws sit and scarf anything with bacon in it, and a vegan acquaintance denegrate me in public until I pointed our that her jacket and shoes were made of leather. What do you think happened to the rest of the cow? (A true vegan does not wear leather). The one true vegan I knew wouldn't even wear wool (easy to say when you live in Florida)(didn't get this, because if you've ever seen a sheep frolic after a haircut, you'll know it doesn't hurt them!).

I have plenty of friends who just simply prefer not to eat red meat, and I can go with that. I just make a side that can serve as the staple for them if red meat is the main. A neighbor told me her husband was "going vegan", then he ate a large portion of the dark turkey meat. This is ok with me. I can understand deciding to eat less meat.

It is when you try to get others to eat the way you do, and prosthetize and criticize that meat eaters start getting defensive. Haha! Especially if they criticize your steak while eating bacon or pepperoni!

I don't think every meal needs to include meat and I have and will cook for vegetarians. Going completely vegan just is beyond what I wish to do. If I cook something that is vegan that's fine, but I am just not going to plan that. Just my personal choice. :)

Aha! I didn't understand that from your earlier comment. :)

Okay, my internet went down for a while but here is the cheese biscuit recipe

1 lb sharp cheddar, shredded (the sharper the better)
1 lb butter (can sub margarine)
4 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper

cream butter and add flour and spices to make a crumbly dough
add cheese and blend until smooth
roll onto floured surface to somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2" thick
Cut with small sized cutter
Place about 1/8" apart on ungreased cookie sheet
Bake 325° for 15 mins.
DO NOT OVER BAKE - These don't brown much and will become rock hard if you bake too long.

I've done them in various shapes depending on the occasion. I found at my local Ben Franklin Craft store small alphabet shapes and have various ones to customize them. One recipe makes a bunch! They are pretty and delicious and easy finger food.

I have a friend who calls herself a choiceitarian. She struggles to eat meat, not because of any philisophical reason but her body just works that way, sometimes she can and will est meat. Other times she can't handle it. It can be a real challenge to find stuff that she can eat since it is different every day. But I love her so I'm up for it.

Back
Top Bottom