Veggie Help Needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hey all, I'm hoping someone will give me an idea of several veggie dishes to make for a BBQ this weekend. My Dad has requested I make a good salad. Problem I have with that is that I ALWAYS make good salads, and nobody ever eats them. At least half of the guests are used to traditional Asian food. So everytime I make a cold salad it sits untouched. I might make a couple of Vietnamese salads, but would rather make American food since that's what the main stuff will be.

Any ideas?? Help? We've done roasted veggies many times (various bell peppers, asparagus, portabello mushroom) so Dad's trying to come up with something new. I'm hoping to find a veggie dish that isn't too creamy or cheesy. Cooked or uncooked would be ok. Is there some veggie I haven't thought of to put on the grill?

Thank you!:)

How about an Asian-flavored cole slaw? Use green cabbage, and then add Nappa and Bok Choy. Use rice vinegar in your dressing, and some freshly grated ginger. Maybe toast some peanuts and chop them for a garnish, along with finely chopped cilantro.

cole-slaw is a sure winner...
grilled corn on the cobb is yummy too...
good luck with the cook out it sounds like fun:)

Hi ChefJune, I make the Asian slaw all the time. Both Vietnamese and Thai style. Hoping to try something new that willl actually get eaten. Thanks for posting! :)

Pasta With Broccoli & Spicy Peanut Sauce

Here's what I'm making tonight -- this is not only vegetarian, it's good:

PASTA WITH BROCCOLI & SPICY PEANUT SAUCE

4.5 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
4 Tablespoons Hot Water
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
1/2 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
3/4 Teaspoon Sugar
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne

1/2 Pound Pasta (Rotelle, Fusilli, etc.)
1/2 Pound Fresh Broccoli
1 Large Red Bell Pepper

Mix together everything EXCEPT pasta, broccoli, and red pepper; stir until smooth.

Cut broccoli flowerets into 3/4-inch pieces; peel stems and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (like carrot pennies). Dice red pepper.

Bring a large quantity of salted water to boil. Add pasta and cook until barely al dente. Add cut-up broccoli and red pepper and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes, until pasta and veggies are al dente. Drain well. Add peanut sauce, toss and serve hot or at room temperature.

Makes 2 servings.

:) How about also making a big fresh fruit salad or fruit tray to go along with your salad if they like tradtional asian food. Im guessing they are asians if they are, one thing Ive learned is they absolutely love fruit use melons,berries and any thing else including pineapple canned slices if thats all you can get.If Im right they will eat every bit of it.

Back
Top Bottom